Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed
Quote:I don't understand. You mentioned beforehand the forts did not connect to the wall, so how did they exit beyond the wall through the fort gateways if the fort didn'c connect to it?
No -- I said the Antonine forts don't straddle the wall; i.e., they don't protrude the way many of the Hadrian's Wall forts do. So there is only ever one gate exiting to the north, unlike some of the Hadrianic forts which have three gates beyond the barrier line.

Most of the Antonine Wall forts are bonded into the wall; i.e., they utilise the Antonine Wall as their northern rampart. (There are notable exceptions, of course; e.g. Balmuildy was completed before the Antonine Wall reached it, and Bar Hill stands alone behind the Wall.)

This bonding of forts into the Antonine Wall is subtly different from the Hadrianic scheme. For example, at Housesteads, Hadrian's Wall buts against the fort corners and utilises the fort's northern rampart; if you "erased" Hadrian's Wall, you'd still have a perfect Roman fort. Whereas if you erased the Antonine Wall, many forts (e.g. Rough Castle) would lose their northern rampart! Others (e.g. Balmuildy) would exhibit protruding wing walls indicating that a barrier was expected.

But I fear we are straying off topic! Big Grin

(And thank you for your PM, Yuri.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed - by D B Campbell - 06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by D B Campbell - 06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Newcastle fort - by D B Campbell - 07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Re: Newcastle fort - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hadrian\'s Wall "vallum" D B Campbell 17 3,117 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman coffin from Newcastle brennivs - tony drake 1 1,262 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Legio XXI Rapax, info needed Sardaukar 3 2,797 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell