Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accuracy of osprey books
oh yes. I'm a fanboy. :wink:
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Quote:As the author of three books published by Osprey, I would like to think they are accurate.
Unfortunately, you did not write all books... :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:
Ross Cowan:2czquua5 Wrote:As the author of three books published by Osprey, I would like to think they are accurate.

Smile

But there are plenty of reliable books on ancient warfare from Osprey, e.g. titles by Duncan B. Campbell, Boris Rankov, Graham Sumner, etc., but any Osprey author will admit that the publisher is more interested in colourful and dramatic plates than the text.

Cheers,

R
Quote:In the case of university presses, are you sure there's no kind of peer review? That is a very common way to ensure that the book is of decent academic quality.
If my experience is anything to go by, academic publishers request a CV, a chapter-by-chapter synopsis of the book, and a sample chapter, all of which is sent out to three (anonymous) academic referees for their comments. The publishers then decide whether to "commission" the book on the strength of the referees' feedback.

Some publishers even have the final manuscript read over by academic referees, to catch any errors before going to publication. I had the honour ( :wink: ) of reading Goldsworthy's Complete Roman Army for Thames & Hudson prior to publication.

(Maybe Phil Sidnell should introduce this system at Pen & Sword!? :wink: Smile )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Jona Lendering:2t66jy6q Wrote:
Ross Cowan:2t66jy6q Wrote:As the author of three books published by Osprey, I would like to think they are accurate.

Smile

But there are plenty of reliable books on ancient warfare from Osprey, e.g. titles by Duncan B. Campbell, Boris Rankov, Graham Sumner, etc., but any Osprey author will admit that the publisher is more interested in colourful and dramatic plates than the text.

Cheers,

R
But the existence of Ospreys so bad that they spread ignorance, not knowledge, taints them as a class. None of us is saying that all Ospreys are bad, but enough are that you can't recommend them as a class. Folks like you or David Niccole are honest enough to write only about what you are knowlegeable about, but many of their authors and illustrators aren't so scrupulous!
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:oh yes. I'm a fanboy. :wink:

*nods* I'm a Ross Cowan fangirl. :wink: :oops:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:
Decius:2n0ayuwx Wrote:oh yes. I'm a fanboy. :wink:

*nods* I'm a Ross Cowan fangirl. :wink: :oops:

Big Grin

Cheers,

R
Interesting. I did know that publishers send books out to be reviewed, but my impression has been that this was more of a marketing tool, and less a way to check content.

My view into the publishing world has been limited to a marketing perspective: book covers, ads, catalogs, etc. I thought the purpose of these reviews was to get a nice quote to put on the back cover and catalog—to sell more books. I have even had some editors complain that some of these reviewers don't even read the book—they're just saying nice things about their friend, the author!

So, I knew publishers typically don't employ a staff member that reviews content in-house. But, I hadn't considered the full purpose of the peer review process. I suppose my contacts aren't in-the-know about this process. I wouldn't expect the art director to know exactly what the editors are doing!

To bring this all back to Osprey: do they use this peer review process? Of course, the academically rigorous authors, Cowan, Campbell, Rankov, and Sumner wouldn't need any help from Osprey!
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Quote:To bring this all back to Osprey: do they use this peer review process?
In my experience, they don't, Andy. That's why you get such variable quality.

But we shouldn't judge a book by its publisher! Smile

Quote:Of course, the academically rigorous authors, Cowan, Campbell, Rankov, and Sumner wouldn't need any help from Osprey!
:lol: Well ... we try our best. :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I think so far the evident had been pointed about Osprey. Some works are marvels and some others would like to be. As may have said they are a good place to start.

I take the opportunity to thank Cowan, Campbell, Rankov, and Sumner for the help they have given me writing my own articles.

As for publishers: they are there mainly to make a buck and they tent to like sensational sometimes inaccurate things who think they increase sales.
The worse thing that can happen to an author is not to be able to have a say in the illustration.
Question being asked in a publichers office:
- Why did you put knights in plate armor! There was no such armor in 1080 AD!!
- Well the look spectacular!!!!!! We need to catch the eye of the public!!!!
(No I will not tell you the place and the persons but it is true)

Kind regards
Quote:the worse that can happen to an author is not to be able to have a say in the illustration!

That is true. I am always having problems with my illustrator!!!! Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Read the acknowledgements section at the front of a book. That will tell you that most authors ask friends/experts etc to read through their work and check for accuracy/readability etc. That may give you some idea of the accuracy.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote:
Quote:the worse that can happen to an author is not to be able to have a say in the illustration!

That is true. I am always having problems with my illustrator!!!! Big Grin

Graham.

Count yourself lucky "he" is only dilatory :roll: I have read that even the great Angus McBride could be "difficult" !!!!
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Count yourself lucky "he" is only dilatory

If by that you are referring to the delays on 'Arms and Armour of the Roman Soldier', they are nothing to do with him, honest!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Quote:Count yourself lucky "he" is only dilatory

If by that you are referring to the delays on 'Arms and Armour of the Roman Soldier', they are nothing to do with him, honest!

Graham.

I wouldn't be so mean .. I was refering to your oft musing that "he" must get of RAT & get back to the drawing board Big Grin
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New books from Osprey: Robert Vermaat 2 1,264 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  three new Osprey books richsc 0 796 04-19-2003, 01:28 AM
Last Post: richsc
  New books from Osprey Robert Vermaat 6 1,636 03-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat