Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagle on the Yoke of Dareios\' chariot
Salvete omnes,

I read in a book about the pompeii mosaic that generally there was an eagle as symbol of the Great King's presence installed on or above the yoke of his chariot (Reference Curtius Rufus III 3, 16: "over the yoke of the Great King's chariot they had consecrated a golden eagle, which was represented with stretched wings").

My question is, how does one have to imagine this eagle, three-dimensional like on the Roman eagle standard or more as a flat plate like it can be seen on the yoke of the Oxus chariot?

Greets and thanks in advance - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
The eagle is not a common motive in Achaemenid art. I think that what was interpreted as an eagle by the Greek mercenary who was, through Cleitarchus, the source of Curtius Rufus, was faravahar, which is -according to modern Zoroastrians- the visual aspect of Ahuramazda, and -according to modern scholars- the supreme god himself. That would not be strange: similar representations of a winged god supporting warriors are known from Assyrian reliefs (example). Note that Curtius Rufus mentions other statues of gods in his description of the chariot.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I have no idea how accurate these could be but here they are
[Image: Derafshdar.jpg][Image: Derafshdar%20Shahin%20Zarin.jpg]
For the left one it said:
Persian Standard Bearer (Derafshdar) rising the Achaemenid Eagle Banner.
For the right one:
Persian Emblem Bearer (Derafshdar-e Shahin Zarin) rising the Cyrus Eagle Emblem.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
They are based on a little piece of blueish stone in the Tehran Museum. I am unaware of any evidence that it represents a standard.
Jona Lendering
My website
The eagle was reported by several ancient Greek authors as the royal standard of the king.

The eagles of those illustrations are from a rectangular plate, a standard from the Achaemenid period. Furthermore the legendary Achaemenes was said to have been raised by an eagle.

I would say the Griffon was more common symbol among the Achaemenids but it’s possible that the eagle was the royal/imperial-only symbol because of the legend of Achaemenes.

IIRC there is even a pre-Achemenid standard with a 3-dimensional eagle on its top, somewhat roman-like if you want and this eagle on the top of the royal standard was also reported for the Achaemenids. I can’t recall if it was attributed to the Elamites, Medes or the Lurestan Persians.

It’s possible that the Romans adopted the eagle above the standard style via the Seleucids as symbol of imperial power.
Bahram Ardavan-Dorood
Quote:The eagle was reported by several ancient Greek authors as the royal standard of the king.
Which one did I miss?
Jona Lendering
My website
I have to check my books for it, but I remember Diodorus and Xenophon mentioning it while describing the royal standard, however I'm really no sure.

But Pierre Briant said in his book from Cyrus to Alexander that the eagle is the animal that is well attested as symbol for royal power by the Achaemenids.
Bahram Ardavan-Dorood
Quote:But Pierre Briant said in his book from Cyrus to Alexander that the eagle is the animal that is well attested as symbol for royal power by the Achaemenids.
Yes, on page 111, referring to the story by Aelian that Achaemenes was raised by an eagle (an interesting story, mirrored in Firdausi's Shahname, where the Simurgh-bird raised the father of Rustam). He also refers (on page 242) to Xenophon, Anabasis 2.1.1, where an eagle is presented as an omen. On page 1021-1022, he presents Harmatta's theory that the eagle mentioned by Curtius Rufus is in fact the Babylonian Anzu - a theory which Briant finds hard to accept. Still, he does not contradict Harmatta's statement that the golden eagle appears under Artaxerxes II - but there is no reference, and it can not be found in Plutarch's Life of Artaxerxes II.

Still, Briant is god. Even if he does not mention sources more convincing than Aelian, he may be right. But I remain skeptical. In any case, the eagles on the drawings of the standards above are based on a piece of blueish stone (below) - they are not the golden eagles mentioned by Harmatta, and there is no evidence (at least not that I know of) that this blueish bird represents the royal standard.
Jona Lendering
My website
Well I haven't checked my sources yet and you seem to be well informed but I have something here:

The mentioned pre-Achaemenid standard said to have been found in Iran.

While searching for that photo I also saw some Achaemenid coins and one had a satrap/king displayed with a small eagle on his head, some kind of crown. I see if I can find more.

I agree that the eagle on the stone can't be called proof for the royal standard and I agree that the artworks above are speculation (like most of that series of artworks).
Bahram Ardavan-Dorood
Quote:They are based on a little piece of blueish stone in the Tehran Museum. I am unaware of any evidence that it represents a standard.
The royal banner on the Alexander and Darius mosaic depicted some sort of beaked bird on a red ground when it was excavated. It has tassels and a dotted border. Xen. An 1.10 described the royal standard as some kind of golden eagle upon a pelte, raised upon a pole, but he never saw it himself. He repeats the claim in the Cyropaedia. Several scenes at Persepolis show square standards on a pole, but they are now blank and my photocopies are unclear. Some Hellenistic coins show Persian standards as square with dangling tassels, on a pole.

That standard is very cool, Artabanos. Was it properly excavated, or looted?
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:The mentioned pre-Achaemenid standard said to have been found in Iran.
It's splendid!
Jona Lendering
My website
@Sean Manning

I have got it from a third source with no other information than its age (1000BC) and that it might be Elamite. I actually hope someone can provide additional information on it here.

@Jona Lendering

Sean should be right, I remember to have heard the description in the Anabasis and the Cyropedia. He might have seen it as standard of Artaxerxes II or heard a direct description at that time.

As you mentioned it the full legend of Achaemenes is preserved in Ferdowsis Shahnameh, although the character was replaced with a probably Parthian hero.
But Ferdowsi tells that it was the Simorgh Griffon who raised Achaemenes/Zaal, therefore it was the much more common Griffon, not the eagle in this story. AFAIK the Homa is the eagle in the Shahnameh, it is much less common but still an important motive in Aryan art especially while attacking a deer. Therefore the very common Griffon played a more important role in Aryan art while the eagle was most likely reserved for the king and the symbol of royal power.

The theory that the Fahavar was actually the eagle on the imperial standard is also valid but I would say that especially because of the Achaemenes legend a more Aryan origin with specific animals symbolising power is likely. In the Shahnameh e.g each hero has his own animal on his clan standard.
Bahram Ardavan-Dorood
Quote:I have got it from a third source with no other information than its age (1000BC) and that it might be Elamite. I actually hope someone can provide additional information on it here.
Have a look at
http://www.cais-soas.com/News/2007/Febr ... /14-02.htm

Suggests an earlier date.
cheers,
Duncan
Quote:@Sean Manning

I have got it from a third source with no other information than its age (1000BC) and that it might be Elamite. I actually hope someone can provide additional information on it here.
<Whistles> 1000 BCE! Thanks very much for showing us that. Maybe these small, square banners got started early ...

Thanks also to Duncan.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
And thanks by me to all for the answers and discussion.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe