Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wearing a Falcata with Cuirass
Quote:Yap,the other thread had the exact same participants,too :lol:

Yep! I looked up the other thread when you mentioned it earlier and saw that, too. If I could scan pics I'd like to get some opinions on my scabbard.
It looks similar to the one the spear-wielding hoplite is wearing.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Nope,i think I did a mistake.
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 35&start=0
This is what I was talking about. But I suppose yours,Chris is similar technique.
That Spanish reenactor had a very nice scabard,Andy. I liked the fact that it is straight,just like so many vases show! Is yours straight,too?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Yes, mine's straight but has a brass chape, slightly tapered but flat on the bottom.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
Mine is even more simplistic than that. I'll post a pic later when I can get to a camera and after I do the baldric. I have the same falcata though, I think. It is a sharpened Windlass Steelcrafts version. All my swords are sharp since I cut with them.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Chris, that's a nice falcata. I think mine's the Deepeeka version. I look forward to seeing the pics.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
I like it. It cuts very well. It definately has an axe type feel when using it though. There is a nice solid "tink" when passing through wara, but it slices right through. It is very comparable to a Gurkha Kukri. I have a Cold Steel Satin finish version that cuts about equally with the Falcata. It is very obvious why though! :lol:

The only negative is that the handle seems to get loose easily when compared to other swords I own. I just stuck it in the ground blade first and hammered the tang flat with a ball peen to cinch it back together tightly though. It still has a slight rattle when I take a hard swing which makes me a little uncomfortable, but I don't think the blade is going anywhere.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie