Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans more fit?
Every time I go to a reenactment event or see a multi period one in pictures the Romans always seem way more fit looking. The American civil war guys are bursting thier buttons and the medieval guys all look like they have just popped up from behind the turkey leg at the year long feast? Is it just me? <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
mmm, I've yet to see someone produce a muscle cuirass with a beer-gut <p></p><i></i>
I think that the Roman re-enactors take their re-enacting a bit more seriously. I mean, those are big shoes to fill! Remember a Roman legionaire was no joke!<br>
<br>
Just two denarii from a humble enthusiast. <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
"a Roman<em> legionaire</em> [sic.]was no joke! "<br>
<br>
ahh, oui monsiuer ,<br>
reminds me of a frankie sinatra line:<br>
<br>
<em>"...now if you think i wont find romans in the french, foreign legion..."</em><br>
<br>
or did i misspell that......<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
It's not that we're so much fitter, it's just that we're so much better looking than everybody else! <p></p><i></i>
oui oui monsieur.....me thinks you did... <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
ALso you can stuff a fat man in a lorica and the way the armour is constructed makes him look as though he is some early Roman attempt at a King Tiger. Throw the same guy in a Amerian civil war outfit and he looks sloppy.<br>
<br>
The truest test of size has to be wearing maille - man! is that stuff unforgiving!!! better yet dress like real men do ... as gladiators!<br>
<br>
Graham 'Rotundus' Ashford <p></p><i></i>
Perhaps the actual combat aspect of it tends to draw more fit people? I have never seen ACW reenactments, but the Roman/Medieval/SCA types have to have a certain degree of physical fitness.<br>
<br>
Us being better looking is a given, it's called being an "Alpha Male", one of the benefits of being a Roman. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
- Let it be known, that I have 1248 posts to date, but because the techies at Ezboard are incompetent, they no longer show up.</p><i></i>
Interesting observation! My guess is that Graham is at least partly right, the lorica hides a multitude of sins. Also, the guys in my group tend to average well over 6 feet tall, for some reason, so a few extra pounds aren't so noticeable. It could also be that webmeisters are a little selective in the photos they put online, though that is irrelevant if you noticed the phenomenon first-hand.<br>
<br>
But I'm not sure, your observation could be correct! It might be just luck, that the Roman period is small enough in numbers that we simply haven't recruited too many guys from the larger end of the scale yet.<br>
<br>
And of course, we ARE more gorgeous than folks from other eras!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I've notice that in general the civil war guys tend to be the worst just look at the starving confederates in Gettysburg . The campaigner or hardcore civil war guys tend to be in fairly good shape in general. I think that the Rev war Guys generally look like they're in ok shape but those rendezvous guys can be as bad as the civil war guys. So I guess the Rev war and Roman reenactors seem to be in the best shape here in the States IMHO.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
All right, I'll take the risk. Has anyone else failed to notice that all reenactment groups tend to attract the grossly overweight? The urge to escape into another era may have a lot to do with poor body image, I fear. <p></p><i></i>
It's possible john. It may have something to do about not having to do the real thing, (especially physically), but still have the fun and pride of wearing the uniform. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
I have noticed that to. Even in movies they are like that. You always see fat people but when it comes to the Romans there fit and skinny. Kind of weird if you think bout it. <p></p><i></i>
Yea we're better looking for sure! <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante