Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Familia Eboracensium - York
I was taking refreshments at The Roman Bath last night and checked their website today.
The Familia Eboracensium are looking to recruit members for York's first Gladiator school, either in a combatant or non combatant role
Gladiator School

Big Grin
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Probably that is the reason they not invite other groups in this year... Cry
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
This group is a new one, allied to the VI Legion and also run by the owner of the Roman Bath House Museum, Graham Harris. I imagine they a very unlikely to be invited to take part in any official Festival activities.

It is unafiliated with Keith Mulhearn or his "Roamin' Tours", familiar to some RATters as the organiser of the York Roman Festival. As far as I know, the new group doesn't enjoy any public funding, but is on the usual participant basis of a re-enactment group, with the Museum providing a useful base and focus.

I believe the reason given in the local paper for the difficulties over last year's two-part festival was funding cuts and this may be why the Hungarian Collegium Gladiatorium has not been invited back.

This is a great shame: I took part in the festival as on of the foederati in 2005 and watched you in 2006 and everyone agreed the Collegium was the highlight! If you haven't seen them, I have photos on my journal gallery:
http://pics.livejournal.com/salvianus/

York deserves to have a great Roman festival once again, with the Collegium Gladiatorium and other guests from the Roman re-enactment world.
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Well... I emailed them, to say that I would possibly be interested in a non combatant role and was already with the Hoplite Association and didn't receive a reply.
I could quite fancy the idea of being a Gladiatrix as well, but at my age with arthritis, not a good idea :oops: .
As it happens, I am reading Susanna Shadrake's book, 'The World of the Gladiator' at the moment.
Opifex, I saw you at York too and loved it Big Grin
As Salvianus has already pointed out, the Collegium Gladiatorium display was enjoyed by everyone and it was the highlight of the Festival.
It will be a shame if you are not invited back because of funding problems.
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Familia Gladitore in Southern CA CM Demetrivs Medicvs 6 7,400 07-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Last Post: CM Demetrivs Medicvs
  Familia Gladiatoria, Hungary Caballo 10 5,116 04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat