Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry name
What of the word "Hyppikon"? Is that an accurate word for some type of cavalry? A "generic" word? Or completely incorrect? Wink
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Generic for cavalry. It would've been very correct. The oposite is "peziko" infantry.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
5th century B.C. from Korinthos Museum
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... C02510.jpg

Kind regards
Wow, is that an aspis?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeap and if you combine it with all the depiction of shileded horsemen from 700 B.C. our view of the Greek cavaly must be revised.

Kind regards
Why? There are other depictions of horsemen carrying the aspis, is there not?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes they are.
Which means that the shield on horseback predated 4th century B.C.

Kind regards
This makes the likelyhood of Tarentines having Aspises, as I believe, much higher.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Small image. Corinthian pottery 450 B.C.
From an auction.

Kind regards
Quote:how do you fight on horseback with a large heavy Aspis without a saddle?

Carefully

Quote:you would need some more supporting evidence to show that these depictions are "cavalry" in any proper sense of the word....
The idea that 'shielded 'Greek cavalry existed but then later somehow 'forgot' how to use shields, is rather unlikely.......

I have at least one archaic example of a shielded cavalryman spearing a lion. No one says they fought well from horseback, which would explain why they got off and a lighter, unshielded cavalry dominated. Remember that you only need fight as good as your foes, and if they are rich blokes playing horsey, your fine. I don't believe that these rather late depictions are accurate- rather they may reflect a remembrance of an earlier reality.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Who can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the the horseman's "hoplite like" shield is as heavy as the "vatican shield"?
Who can prove that all shields were identical to the "vatican shield" ?
Who can disprove that the horsemen did not carry alighter version of the shield?

Kind regards
The one that can prove that the Vatican shield,with its bronze covering and solid wooden planks,was not heavy at all. No heavier than other shields of similar size. A proper reconstruction of the vatican shield would give you a much lighter shield than any reproduction,and certainly more manageable.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Not only can use use one aspis from horseback, you can use two! And you don't need a saddle because you can stand! :lol:
Paul M. Bardunias