in the Roman Empire (DressID)
2nd GENERAL MEETING
COPENHAGEN
18-20 May 2008
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I'd love to have the publication of the lectures held there!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
What will be interesting is the several lectures on textile armour held there; at least a few of them seem like they describe actual findings, among others from Masada.

I'm out of town next week, but I'll see if I can get hold of someone going there to report back.
Quote:What will be interesting is the several lectures on textile armour held there; at least a few of them seem like they describe actual findings, among others from Masada.

I'm out of town next week, but I'll see if I can get hold of someone going there to report back.

Please do, and also ask how we can buy the publication or conference texts. This will be a great conference I think!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Through the miracle of modern technology, this conference will be podcast!!

Quote:Please, keep an eye on our website, as we also plan to pod-cast the
conference. www.ctr.hum.ku.dk or www.dressid.eu
And the proceedings will be published!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I might also have secured the help of one of the participants and told her what to look for - the problem is that her participation seems to hang a bit in the air at the moment. Let's hope it works itself out.
I've gotten some copies of the slides used in the Masada presentation and briefly gone over the podcast. Sadly, it wasn't as good as I had it cracked up to be. They have found a lot of cloak fragments and a thick linen fragment that is theorized to have been part of a pteruge. The fragment has no stitch marks. So it wasn't the elusive subarmalia after all.
Ah, drat. Any info would be nice if you could send it along. I was swamped at work and completely missed it.

Thanks in advance!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I want to look at the webcasts first to see that what I can discern from the slides fits the lecture. I have a huge workload at the lab right now and something I have to get done in the weekend, so it might bee some time.
No problem. Whenever you get a chance!!

Thanks!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Quote:I'd love to have the publication of the lectures held there!

I'd love to know now whether the Romans knew the horizontal loom or not.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
They did not know the horizontal loom as we do know it. That is an invention of the industrial era, or better to say that its invention was the start of the industrial era.

Mostly the romans used the vertical loom as seen on several reliefs like the ones from the forum transitorium (forum of nerva) in Rome where the competition between Arachne and Athene is shown (See pictures in Blanckenhagen, Flavische Architektur und ihre Dekaration untersucht am Nervaforum, Berlin 1940, Tafel 41). Additionally there are the thousands of loomwheigts that where found all over the roman empire, they do belong to that vertical looms.

But there are speculations about horizontal looms used in northern africa to produce tunicas in one piece. We do not have finds of those looms (they must have been around 2,50m wide) and the archeological evidence is not given by any finds, but Annette Paetz gen. Schiek writes, that in egypt the cloth and tunicas were woven in big frames with two warp beams and that those weaving frames could be arranged vertical and horizontal (horizontal means laying on the floor). Those frames were known since the 15th century a.d. and still prooved for the roman times by letters naming them. The difference between those weaving frames and vertical looms are following:
You can fix the threads more thight and you do strike the filling thread downwards (while the filling thread is stroken upwards to the werp beam). That's all I know of horizontal looms in antiquity and can be read at A. Paetz gen. Schiek, aus Gräbern geborgen. Krefeld 2003, p. 12f) Maybe you can find more in D.L. Carroll, Looms and Textiles of the Copts, Seattle 1988. Unfortunately we don't have this book in our library.

I hope that will anser your question Big Grin
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
I have seen a couple of wooden models with horizontal looms last year in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. And I have at least one pic of them on my hard disc at home. It is hard to see why the Romans did not know the horizontal loom, when the Egyptians of the Middle Kingdom did 1-2 millenia before.
Quote:I have seen a couple of wooden models with horizontal looms last year in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. And I have at least one pic of them on my hard disc at home. It is hard to see why the Romans did not know the horizontal loom, when the Egyptians of the Middle Kingdom did 1-2 millenia before.

They might have known about it but just not have used it for whatever reason.
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
[Image: p1000403ea3.th.jpg]

Egyptian horizontal loom from the 11th dynasty (2134 -1991 BC !!)

So why were the Romans two thousand years behind? At least in Roman Egypt the horizontal loom could be expected to be used, couldn't it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catalogue of Late Roman textiles - Landesmuseum Stuttgart Robert Vermaat 1 2,010 05-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Late Roman textiles Robert Vermaat 2 1,206 10-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs