Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wax and tallow candles
Ave,

The posts on fire starting / carrying got me thinking about illumination in general and within the castra specifically. The oil lamp is pretty much iconic, very little change over a long period. But everyone is aware of the drawbacks on this type illumination, plus the lamps were obviously prone to breakage, the oil leaked , had to be transported separately.....

I have seen elsewhere on the net that the Romans had wax and tallow candles but maybe these were reserved for the elites, maybe the less elite for the tallow one.

A tallow candle seems to be a bit more cost effective and transportable at least for the legions... but maybe too weather dependent, Very high temperatures would probably give you just a reeking lump. As a candle holder just about anything could do...

Any ideas on this out there? Would a tallow candle holder be unique enough to be identified by the archaeological community. Is there any evidence of tallow or wax candle use within the legions....in a camp or permanent camp situation.

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus , aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
My understanding is that candles existed, but wax ones were at least exhorbitantly expensive. Tallow was probably more likely to be seen in the camps, though oil lamps were the main source I believe. Frankly I imagine few legionaries used either, perhaps just the fire to work on their gear if they had to stay up that late. as long as the Vicus had a torch, they could find it in the dark...

That said, we cheat with wax candles in the Centurio tent on the premise that he coud afford it.

Anyone else? Love to learn some more on this.
rats love the taste of a good tallow candle too...
I've seen Roman-era candleholders (at least, that's what they were identified as) in Bonn. It's not at all an outlandish idea. However, I doubt they would be the choice for the soldier. candles can melt or break, and they are pretty much single-use. Lamps can use any oil there is (even animal fats if need be) and the fuel can also be eaten. And a small pottery lamp is very hard to break.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
hmm.. what about beeswax candles? I imagine they would've been very expensive though..
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Rushlights are also a possibility, although they would be much less handy than oil lamps or beeswax candles and I don't know of any Roman evidence. They are special reeds which have been softened then soaked in a mix of fats and oils. They were used in Bronze Age Egypt and medieval and early modern Europe.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.