Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica squamata- in a French biscuit tin....
Again from the Yale collection at http://ecatalogue.art.yale.edu/ , and bizarrely still in the French biscuit tin from the original excavation at Dura Europas , a lorica squamata. It seems still largely in one piece.....

[Image: loricasquamata.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
:lol: :lol: :lol:
....the 'ancient' biscuit tin is now so old, it is of some historical interest in itself.
The fact that it is still in there, and seemingly still with dirt/dust from the site, quite possibly means it hasn't been looked at since it was 'packed'... Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Imagine what a proper examination would tell us about construction, materials etc....there's a project for any of our knowledgeable American members..... Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
But who ate all the biscuits?
Pecunia non olet
They have even an sketch of the suspect! Confusedhock:

Now, goung back to the topic, recently, in one (small, but lovely) museum in Efringen-Kirchen, Baden , Germany, there was an exhibition called "From Wotan zum Christus".

The had some original alamannic fíbula boxes made of 30´s cigarrette boxes! :lol:

Also a razors box called "Diana" :lol:

Going more closer to the topic AGAIN, :roll: :

Really interesting, y hope they will have time and patiennce to take it out carefully, I hope it´s still in part odf the original shape Confusedhock:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Thats quite amazing...im checking my biscuits from now on!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
You gotta love archeology procedures from the 1930's. I have Hopkins' book on the Dura Europus excavations, and when they found the horse armor, they went and put it on a bedouin's horse to see what it looked like. Confusedhock: And then they took a picture.

I don't think this is the horse armor, so I'm wondering if this is one of the armors off the bodies they found in the collapsed mine. It may have been described already.
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.
Apparently they're still in business

Quote:Olibet Biscuits
Headquarters location: 65B Rue la Fayette 75009 Paris 9
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I managed to get my hands on a copy of Simon James' "Excavations at Dura-Europos 1928-1937 Final Report VII: The Arms and Armour and other Military Equipment" (British Museum Press, 2004)

And the number above doesn't seem to match any of those given in the text.

How big is that tin? Does anyone have the dimensions?

I ask because there are mentions of a 'very fine' copper alloy scale armors, the scales being 6-7mm high by 5-6mm wide and .25mm thick. Not big stuff. Very fine work indeed.
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.
Personally, I prefer the Lorica Segmenta
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
Ye gods- that's just crazy. I can't believe that Olibet biscuits had so much copper in them that they turned green after 75 years LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Haha very funny.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

No doubt the French will want their tin back as a cultural treasure?... (Oh, I shouldn't have said that...)

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:when they found the horse armor, they went and put it on a bedouin's horse to see what it looked like.

My fellow students in conservation would call that behaviour, typical of an archaeologist :lol:

It isn't easy to be an archaeologist amongt conservationists. We aren't exactly popular. :lol: But most archaeologists aren't purely evil, just ignorant sometimes when it comes to the preservation of the actual artefacts...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The scales at Vindolanda are small, that size or smaller even......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hey Marcus, why would they call that typical of an archaeologist?
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carpow lorica squamata fragments Ross Cowan 5 2,381 04-30-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan
  Are these real roman lorica squamata scales ? Jose Lopez 10 3,656 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  How protective and useful was Lorica Squamata? Mrbsct 2 1,816 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crispvs