Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are there any republican-era reenactors?
I like the shoes and your reasoning for that style, I may look further into these as an option.

I currently have a leather strap on my maille cape and it works fine. It is tied with sturdy leather thonging that is well hidden under the maille. This is modelled from the depictions on the Ahenobarbus Relief, where the maiile capes openings are quite wide at the upper chest, and the two ends not pulled in to meet at all, they vertually just hang straight down from the shoulders.
I have based my hamatta from this sculptural image, and I can only assume that the maille cape clasp was a leather strap or some other band of material (could have been bronze or iron) but no attachments seem visible in the images, so I can only personally assume that it was tied on with the laces hidden underneath, or rivited and the rivet heads well hidden, or that the sculptures are badly worn away.
If anybody has ANY solutions or interpretations of the maille cape clasp of the Ahenobarbus Relief I would love to know more.

Messages In This Thread
X Legion "Equestris" - by Buggnkat - 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
LEGIO I ANTIQVA - by Aemilianus - 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Photo of my equipment - by Aemilianus - 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM
another complete view - by Aemilianus - 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Shoes - by Aemilianus - 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Re: Are there any republican-era reenactors? - by Andy - 08-09-2008, 04:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman republican reenactors in australia barcid 18 4,386 12-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Last Post: barcid