Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Temple\'s "Descent into Hell" - I really sho
Recently I saw BBC film "Descent into Hell".
You could find information about this film, book "Netherworld" here:
http://www.robert-temple.com/
(You could also check out "Trips (2003)" part of this site).
The main idea of this author:
"The ancient Greek 'hell', known as Hades, actually existed as a huge artificial replica deep underground near the earliest Greek colony in western Italy, at Baia. It even had an artificial River Styx hundreds of feet underground across which people were rowed in a small boat, to consult the spirits of the dead. In May 2001 I became the first person living to re-enter this eerie ancient underground site, known as the Oracle of the Dead. Netherworld reproduces many colour photos of this amazing and intact site deep below the surface of the earth. The subterranean corridors run for more than a fifth of a mile, cut out of the solid rock. It is estimated that the Romans devoted 30,000 man-hours carrying soil into the site in an attempt to block up this terrifying Oracle, already hundreds of years old in their time, but now at last it has been possible to explore and report this underground complex which was sealed 2000 years ago. The account of the Oracle of the Dead is an archaeological revelation".
He insists that this is artificial complex and that Greek and Roman priests used it to imitate "descent into hell" for the beleivers. So he treating this actions as a kind of "tricks" of the priests.
Did anybody saw this film or read the book?
What is your opinion?
What do you think about ideas of the author?
What?! Does this underground place actually exist?!
http://www.rogal.org/CRCredits.html

Halfway down the page there's a video clip (click on the Netherworld thumbnail).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, this place exists, but what do think of it and about opinions of the author?
As for me - the thing that shocked me most - that these ancient priests should be very modern and quite cynical in their vision of the world around them.
If they were performing such "shows" knowing that it is only a kind of "attraction" - what did they think of their believers, or politicians and warriors who consulted with them? Treat them as naive fools who should obey their power? And in what these priests believed in reality? In money and power? If so - they were quite modern and developed persons. Of course, it's only my personal emotional reaction and speculations.
And I could understand now Plato - he wrote that old Greek mythology should be banned... Probably he know about such things?
Coming in November, my next novel:
SPQR XII: THE ORACLE OF THE DEAD. It's a Caecilius Metellus mystery set at this very location. German RAT members may already have read it. It's been out in Germany for some time.
Pecunia non olet
Hi, John! Big Grin
Nice to meet you here!
Tell us please, what do you think of this matter - I mean not summary of your novel - but your thoughts and impressions.
I think it would be interesting for everyone here.