Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurovision Song Contest
Horray it's Eurovision this week :? D

Does anyone here watch? In the UK it's a total joke but we are led to believe other countries take it seriously, how is it viewed in your country?

I've also heard of people outside of Europe watching it but I don't know if that's to laugh at us or because they enjoy the music!

I watch but have no idea why :oops: Lordi aside the music isn't to my taste, no-one ever votes for us any more, I must just be a masochist lol
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
I don't watch it. Never did. And there is some serious contest in the Netherlands to see who can go there, but some countries always vote for their friends, so we cannot win anyway.

And the music isn't my taste indeed.
ALA I BATAVORUM
We do not take t very serious either. But somehow, people are interested; a friend summarized it as "they pretend they are making music, we pretend we are fans".
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Yes, people here too consider it as a kind of joke. In fact I found it funnier earlier when it was very close to a good camp-humour :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Wow you're all quick to reply Big Grin

Quote:"they pretend they are making music, we pretend we are fans".

That's good!

Quote:Yes, people here too consider it as a kind of joke.

Finland rock, we all loved you for the Lordi thing :lol:
Kat x

"el chiki chiki mola mogollón" :roll:

Watching the spanish song, seems we don't take Eurovisión very seriously...
In past years, there were certainly 'some' Spanish people who took it VERY seriously....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... l#continue
Quote:In past years, there were certainly 'some' Spanish people who took it VERY seriously....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... l#continue
Wow! :roll:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
In France and in UK, the people are thinking largely that is a total joke. Why ? Because France and UK, as foundator countries, are automatic qualified for the next year. It's not the case for all the other countries, and, it's true, some of them are very competive. Anyway, in Belgium, we are often disappointed by the countries who vote automaticly for their neighbour (Belgium has not so much border...).
David
Quote:In France and in UK, the people are thinking largely that is a total joke. Why ? Because France and UK, as foundator countries, are automatic qualified for the next year. It's not the case for all the other countries, and, it's true, some of them are very competive. Anyway, in Belgium, we are often disappointed by the countries who vote automaticly for their neighbour (Belgium has not so much border...).

We can't even rely on Ireland for a vote anymore and they're our only "neighbour" :lol:

I *think* some countries automatically enter the final because without their funding there wouldn't be a contest. It's a bit of a joke in the UK because of the songs and the "neighbour voting". None of the songs represent anything in our charts.

On a seperate note, great entry there from Spain. Haven't found the translation yet but love the "wacky" entries!
Kat x

We actually get it here too.......but it is treated entiirely as "comedy" (even the ads for it) :lol: :lol:

No-one here thinks of it as a genuine 'contest'......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
In Austria most people are making fun of it, but it's some kind of tradition among students and young people to watch it. Our main alternative radio station has a live broadcast of it every year with two commedians (of the mean and evil type :wink: ) commenting on the songs. So everyone turns on TV. switches off the sound and turns on the radio and gets drunk lol

Last time during the perfomrance of the Austrian candidate they were like: "now we'll hear the best song of tonight's competition" and then turned on one of their own stupid songs while the Austrian was performing :lol:

and once there were thos greek guys all in some weird black outfit and they were something like: "If you wonder about the outfit...these guys are dedicated SS reenactors"
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
I dont care at all about this, now... saw it long ago with my grandparents

Quote:Anyway, in Belgium, we are often disappointed by the countries who vote automaticly for their neighbour (Belgium has not so much border...).

we have even more borders, but get hardly any votes from our neighboures. we loose even more votes as lots of our foreign residents, vote for their homecountries, especially turkey ... :lol:

anyway, in the last decades this has become an absurd circus in most countries obviously and i think the songs that won could have come from everywhere ... but, only the old generation is a bitmore serious about this.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:but it's some kind of tradition among students and young people to watch it
really?!? :o o lol:
I remember Stefan Raab couple of years ago was quite popular, but else? ...
:?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
L C Cinna:14yxd5i1 Wrote:but it's some kind of tradition among students and young people to watch it
really?!? :o o lol:
I remember Stefan Raab couple of years ago was quite popular, but else? ...
:?

In Austria Stermann and Grissemann did it until few years ago. Now it's the FM4 commentors.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]