Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Late Roman Fans
I have a book "The Colosseum, By Peter Quennell", which on page 70 has three pictures from the same painting showing Constantine I, one panel showing him sleeeping, the second showing him seeing folks off at the Milvan bridge with a lance ( no armour Sad ) and the third related to his queen? Lovely blue tunics & waht look like decorated wands or swords carried by the queens/empresses retinue.

This book can be aquired from Amazon for around $.50 to $6.00 so may be worth tagging onto another order just for this illustration.

I dont have access to a scanner so can't help but wondered if anyone esle knows the picture and can privide it for our delectation?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hi

It shows some red tunics too, but it is a ninth century illustration.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I'd love it if anyone could provide a few images. I'm aquiring a collection of them.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
Hi,
I've uploaded some photos I took in Rome last year of the Arch of Constantine which show the army of Constantine advancing to Italy, besieging a city, almost certainly Verona, and the battle at the Milvian Bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23242310@N ... 541803555/

I have had time to photoshop them but let me know if you need access to the originals.
Stephen McCotter
Quote:Hi,
I've uploaded some photos I took in Rome last year of the Arch of Constantine

Big Grin Ah, I wondered who was uploading such useful Late photo's to Flikr, hence my comments!

many thanks, Stephen, laudes. Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Hi, very interesting a lot of details are still inexploited in reenacting. An unknown episem was recently shown from this ark
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD
Thanks a lot, Stephen.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Sorry,
I meant to say that I haven't had time to photoshop the pics from the Arch of Constantine. They need a bit of sharpening. The originals are in RAW format if anyone needs them. I've got a few shots from the 5th century mosaics in Santa Maria Maggigore but they definitely need to be photoshopped first to correct angles and lighting.
I had a great set from the Arch of Galerius when it was being cleaned in 1999 and I was allowed up the scaffolding, but unfortunately some sod stole my rucksack with the 20 rolls of slides on the way home.

I'll post more images onto Flickr as time permits.
Stephen McCotter
Quote:I had a great set from the Arch of Galerius when it was being cleaned in 1999 and I was allowed up the scaffolding, but unfortunately some sod stole my rucksack with the 20 rolls of slides on the way home.
Commiserations! I hope you scrawled a suitable curse tablet. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hahaha :lol: .
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

I'd have preferred to use the stylus in such a way as to leave the culprit cursing.
Stephen McCotter
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Nice pics!

Quote:I've got a few shots from the 5th century mosaics in Santa Maria Maggigore but they definitely need to be photoshopped first to correct angles and lighting.

Ooh, nice!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I hope you post them here soon!
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Hi folks,
Pictures from Sta Maria Maggiore have now been posted. Sorry for the delay.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23242310@N ... 949112308/

I have tried to photoshop them as best I can, bearing in mind it is difficult to get balanced lighing and my laptop TFT is not the best at reproducing the clours as I think they are. Comments on the success or otherwise this are welcome.
Please bear in mind these were taken without a proper tripod from about 75cm off the ground so the resulting angles mean that the lower 25-50cm or so of each panel are missing.
Stephen McCotter