Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with planning a Roman holiday
Ave all Smile

I'm new to these forums so I'll start with a bit of an introduction.

I've been fascinated with ancient Rome for quite some time now. Funnily enough it started in my childhood when I had read an Asterix and Obelix comic book. :lol:

I love reading about the late republic and early empire (circa Marius > Augustus) era. And enjoy Roman themed movies and tv series. Unfortunately I haven't had any formal study in the field of History and it's just a hobby of mine.

Anyway on to my question :lol:

I came across this article recently
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7357515.stm

I thought to visit Rome next year when this event begins would be amazing. I have tried searching on Google for more information but I'm not finding anything useful. Could anyone share some light on this?

I've also thought about just winging it in Rome armed with nothing more than a Lonely Planet book, and a bit of internet research. That's how I had done it in Japan and I had a great time.

Also, can anyone recommend a great place for accommodation that is affordable and comfortable?

Thank you Smile
Darren Keating

"For my part, I had rather be the first man among these fellows, than the second man in Rome"
-Gauis Julius Caesar
First, welcome Darren! I last was in Rome in 2003 and could easily go back for the rest of my life and not see everything. Do plenty of research before you go, and you'll have a wonderful time.

A few suggestions:

It sounds from your post like this would be a first trip for you. Some targeted sightseeing might be beneficial, and the best (though more expensive) company for walking tours is called Context. [url:24oi7zif]http://www.contexttravel.com/rome/[/url]

The wonderful thing about this company is they take small groups of no more than six people, led by docents who are extremely knowledgeable about their subject. Their walking tours include several on classical Rome and average 65 euros. They are well worth it, and if you can afford only one, choose "Roma Antica" or "Ostia Antica."

Staying in Rome is expensive, particularly with the current euro to dollar exchange rate, but that being said, I believe you can make wise choices that won't cramp your style.

Visit Slow Travel's web site, [url:24oi7zif]http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/index.asp[/url] for some great trip planning suggestions, as well as many hotels and vacation rentals. The philosophy of this site is geared towards travelers who are comfortable making their own travel plans and are comfortable staying in a more European style.

Last, when you do go, take good comfortable shoes and walk everywhere: you'll find hidden treasures around every corner!
Iulia Sempronia (Sara Urdahl)
Officium ante Proprium Bonum
This has come up before...so search for the thread, can't recall what it is called...there's a discussion of cheaper places to stay ( like 'pensiones', and convent-run accommodation - basic, but MUCH cheaper than anything else - and, no you don't have to be Roman Catholic......) and also all the 'good stuff' to see -Don't forget that if you get to Rome, you MUST travel down to the Naples area and see Pompeii and Heculaneum.....even though both are deteriorating rapidly.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff