Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plumbata
Mmm, would be interested to see the article when it comes out Vortigern. I don't have my files to hand, but I can recall a few more barbed heads that I felt might have come from plumbatae, but if you don't have the all important lead weight, then you can't be sure.

The Ph.D is available in the University of Durham library I would guess (completed 1990)

Smile
They have created a desolation and called it peace

Davidus 77 / David Marchant
Quote:Mmm, would be interested to see the article when it comes out Vortigern. I don't have my files to hand, but I can recall a few more barbed heads that I felt might have come from plumbatae, but if you don't have the all important lead weight, then you can't be sure.

That is indeed a problem. Most of the 'weightless' identification, I think, are based on the remainder of the head being smaller than a barbed javelin would be. Or, of course, if they are of the tanged type.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
This is interesting stuff, chaps: do you have a sense of the sort context in which these are deposited? (As rubbish or losses on the training ground, that sort of thing).
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Alas Ste, only in a very few cases - mostly due to the majority of finds being very old. Many of the Wroxeter plumbatae were found in disturbed ares.

I can tell you though that one of the the Burgh Castle plumbatae was found in an Anglo-Saxon funerary urn.

You'll have to await the article for an in-depth treatment (although sometimes a PM helps). :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks for the list Robert. Nothing more (for me) necessary. Your reply told me everything I needed to know, which was simply a vague pondering about the overall geographical distribution. So they seem to be a western thing, then (usual caveats about distribution maps equalling the distribution of archaeological work aside).

And thanks to everyone else. Most useful. I am glad I joined this list

Guy
Guy Halsall
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/hist/staff/halsall.shtml">http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/hist/staff/halsall.shtml
Quote:I can tell you though that one of the the Burgh Castle plumbatae was found in an Anglo-Saxon funerary urn.

Yikes! Confusedhock: That boggles the mind!
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:
gaiusseptimiuslucianus:2xqzep8q Wrote:Timothy,

I think you mistake the value of the plumbata. To my mind, its value isn't for piercing shields but rather by being thrown in such a way that it falls down onto the troops from above like a mortar shell. They had weight behind them and a nice sharp tip, good and lethal, I'd say, esp. on unarmored and lightly armored troops.

Are you of an age to remember the "lawn darts" called Jarts? Basically they were plumbata. They were taken off the market because too many people were injured by them. As a child, my wife got one sunk into her shoulder by her little brother Confusedhock: . Those "toys" would definitely pierce unarmored skin so I have no doubt about the value of the "real thing" :wink: .

Lucianus

Ah yes the jart. I remember a set or three of the deadly things amongst the garage toys.

Also remember as kids playing a really dumb game where we would throw them straight up in the air as high as we could just to see where they came down amongst us.

Confusedhock: I see what you mean...

[Image: dangerous-toys-2007.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
A bit like firing weapons in the air......... Confusedhock: :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Confusedhock: I see what you mean...
[Image: dangerous-toys-2007.jpg]

Brilliant! :lol:

-lucianus
L.E. Pearson
hehe lol
Anton O\'\'N eil

the one the only the crazy
If the weather holds and I manage to find a bucket of clay, I intend to make a new set of plumbatae - Brennius' way.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Vortigern remember to close the clay around the shaft leaving a small area with a little funnel to pour down and if the clay is damp beware spitting Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Vortigern remember to close the clay around the shaft leaving a small area with a little funnel to pour down and if the clay is damp beware spitting Big Grin

Thanks for the tips Tony. I did not manage to do that funnel, so there will have to be some chipping at lead.. Big Grin
Spitting there was plenty of, but I managed to avoid most by pooring gently.
Below are my results for a sunny afternoon:

My contraption: a bucket full of clay from the Limes. I managed to 'kidnap' some nice sticky clay from a building site this morning. Big Grin lol:
[Image: replica20085.jpg]

I'm using a small aluminium pan to smelt the lead, not very stable though - I should get something larger I guess.
[Image: replica20083.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It took a bit of experimenting to get the right size of hole for a good result:

[Image: replica20084.jpg]

Here's the result of the experiment: 3 broken plumbatae re-poored and 4 new ones. next I've file down the lead and shorten the shafts in order to fit the flights.
[Image: replica20081.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Something that came up along the way. I cut open an old weight for recyling. Then I recalled that there are still people who somehow cannot believe that hot lead does not incinerate the woode shaft, but only sears it. Well, here's the proof:

[Image: replica20082.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans