Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plumbata
Quote:May I add another question?

How was it thrown? I am assuming over arm, but assumptions being the mother etc...

Very interested to see the "punch" and that the wood hasn't split at all. It would certainly bring tears to the eyes...

It can be trown both under as over arm. Both can be used for different tacticts. Just read through this topic for more information (or get yourself a copy of the writings about it by Robert Vermaat and Paul Elliott (for instance in the recent Ancient Warfare: Paul Elliott, 'Death from above - the throwing dart')
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:It can be trown both under as over arm. Both can be used for different tacticts. Just read through this topic for more information (or get yourself a copy of the writings about it by Robert Vermaat and Paul Elliott (for instance in the recent Ancient Warfare: Paul Elliott, 'Death from above - the throwing dart')

Thanks for the reference...I am currently reading Paul Elliott's book the Last Legionary BTW...

I realise that it can be thrown both ways, that's why I would be interested in the clarifcation of the method used on this occasion Smile .
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:
jvrjenivs:z0yd37di Wrote:Thanks for the reference...I am currently reading Paul Elliott's book the Last Legionary BTW...

Ah, thats a good one and he discuss the Plumbata in it Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
Vindex:1b2ytot3 Wrote:
jvrjenivs:1b2ytot3 Wrote:Thanks for the reference...I am currently reading Paul Elliott's book the Last Legionary BTW...

Ah, thats a good one and he discuss the Plumbata in it Big Grin

It's very good - but proving expensive LOL!

I'm more of an early Empire person myself so a lot of the ancient source material he uses is new(ish) to me (certainly Maurice) and now I HAVE to have my own copy to read as well!!! Librarys are great but a bit of a pain when you have one of those 3am in the morning sudden thoughts and want to look something up at once (...or am I the only one to do that Confusedhock: ?!!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Brennius! Smile lol: ).
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin
Hi Moi,
Quote:I realise that it can be thrown both ways, that's why I would be interested in the clarifcation of the method used on this occasion Smile .
No source actually describes how a plumbata was thrown, but modern tests have established that larger distances can be reached with the underarm throw.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I always imagine the overhand throw as being a direct, powerfull shot for short distance, and the underhand as you say, good for longer and higher trajectories.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I always imagine the overhand throw as being a direct, powerfull shot for short distance, and the underhand as you say, good for longer and higher trajectories.

So could that be over arm for line of sight and under arm to give trajectory to get over obstacles for example? Or is the under arm trajectory to achieve distance only?

Actually GJC, you say "overhand" ...is this different to a javelin type throw? A short, darts like throw perhaps?

Sorry if it is too many questions... :?
Moi Watson

Well, only having handled 2 different ones....I'm no expert. But the ones I have seen allow you to grip them behind the vanes, and launch it....
same as launching it from a wall down on assaulters. But others could have better ideas on a different technique.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2fu59swa Wrote:I always imagine the overhand throw as being a direct, powerfull shot for short distance, and the underhand as you say, good for longer and higher trajectories.
So could that be over arm for line of sight and under arm to give trajectory to get over obstacles for example? Or is the under arm trajectory to achieve distance only?
Over obstacles - underarm is better.
Line of sight - for short distances, overarm would indeed give more punch (as GJC rightly remarks), but underarm gets you more distance. This is necessary if you are attacked, you want to hit the enemy as far away as possible. Aiming is hardly necessary with a plumbata, you want to deliver mass volleys to get maximum effect.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thank you both! Big Grin
Moi Watson

Thanks Robert Big Grin ( lol: :lol: but will give measuremants when I get it back Big Grin
Vindex it was throwen underarm mostly to show how high it can go, as well as showen how it turns mid air and dropping down vertical. we have also throwen it as a side swipe with a flick of the wrist before release.I am working on a new moulding method for the lead and as soon as I have it up and running I will post Big Grin D D
[Image: P7251324.jpg]
Hear is another view Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thank you brennivs for answering my questions. I would also be interested to know about weights, shaft lengths etc.

PS When's your next "gig" and where???
Moi Watson

Hi Tony,
Quote:Thanks Robert Big Grin ( D
What's wrong with this then? I expect feathers not always to be avalable when you're in the field, preparing a full batch for an upcoming battle.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Vortigern this is true but I can understand Big Grin D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)