Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shield cover depicted on monument??
Whilst recently viewing the casts of Trajan's Column at the EUR I spotted a couple of shields that appeared to have designs painted on the inner face. (Harder to see on the real monument)

The one on the far right is a wave pattern with an oval shape beneath each wave. The edge of the shield is also clearly defined. The soldier next to him also appeared to have a design too, but on closer insopection, the shield's edge was not defined, and it looks for all the world like a skin or cover that is stretched and tied behind the shield. I have highlighted the cover with a little colour to explain...

Anyone else noticed this before?

[Image: shieldcover1.jpg]

With shading and added tie string..

[Image: innershieldsshaded.jpg]
Thank you for pointing this feature out. This does seem the most likely interpretation of the feature.

Playing academic dweeb, let me ask if it appears on any more shield interiors in the same form? Since the Dura shields were painted on the interior there exists the possibility of interior designs in this period also.

Also, Adrian... that dark pink... how could you do this too us?

R. Izard
dweeb
Dark pink = faded madder! :wink:

Most of the shields are shown face out on the monument, but I will scan the other pictures I took of the casts to see if there are more like this.
Interesting.

What scene from the column is that from? What are the Auxilia doing?
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.
I will find out this evening and post.. :wink:
I think the interpretation as a shield cover is correct- the irregularity of the design and the deeper relief compared to the internal decoration on the other shield.

The identification of both the shield cover and the internal decoration are AFAIK firsts for the 1st / second century- laudes!

Cheers

Ccballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
It's also rather interesting that his hands are poised as if holding a thrusting spear/pike...
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:Dark pink = faded madder! :wink:

Doesn't madder. It is still a horrible color.

Ralph
LOL @ Ralph...

If the context is non-combat, I'd say that's definitively a shield cover. Good eyes Ade.

Legion: TBD
I'd guess they are both covers....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes... I see your point. The remaining question is: how much attention to detail were the Roman sculptors paying?
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
Interestingly, though, the soldier on the right is holding his clipeus with a two-point grip, like you would expect to see on an aspis. Is that the way it looks to anyone else?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Interestingly, though, the soldier on the right is holding his clipeus with a two-point grip, like you would expect to see on an aspis. Is that the way it looks to anyone else?

It does, sort of, and is one of the reasons I sometimes don't trust what I'm seeing on the column carvings. Some of the carvings are very 'stock' that is, the legionnaires are depicted in one fashion, the Auxilia in another, and they're all fairly identical within a type, even down to those poor bare chested slobs who only get a club. (but they still have a nice oval shield like the auxilia)

I guess it comes down to what is convention, and what is real detail?
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.
Quote:I guess it comes down to what is convention, and what is real detail?
:lol: And that gives us some issues to argue about! Those Romans thought of everything, didn't they? :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:I guess it comes down to what is convention, and what is real detail?
:lol: And that gives us some issues to argue about! Those Romans thought of everything, didn't they? :lol:

Got that right.
Robert Sulentic

Uti possedetis.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dura-Europos shield cover Dan Diffendale 19 8,815 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Use of Strings of Leather Shield Cover Scola 6 1,696 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Scola
  Research on shield cover aelius colus strabo 23 6,084 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Tim Edwards