Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Toilets
Here is a Roman public toilet, lovingly reconstructed using original source material from Leptis Magna, Vaison-La-Romaine and Housesteads. Consideration for citizens comfort is paramount here - hence the use of marble on seats and floor, smooth to the posterior and cool to the touch. Next to the public road, patrons can still watch the day - to - day activity of the town whilst using this facility, and its closely spaced seats enable one to continue in conversation with ones friends uninterrupted during the lavatorial process. The toilets discharge into the town's sewers, and there is a constant flow of clean water from a fountain at the right, which travels along a channel in front of the seats, thus allowing one to clean ones sponge stick in the flow. This channel discharges at the side of the road into the sewers. Scale is 15mm.

[Image: 3484iu9.jpg]
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Really well done!

Do you have (or plan to make) other road sections to join to this, and buildings, and tavernae, and -- and...??

Is the road covered with printed paper, or is that hand painted?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Very nice! When comes the city around it? :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Demetrius: I take digital pictures of actual Roman stone/brickwork and process it into buildng papers, which I then print out and 'wallpaper' my models with, although the public toilets involved a bit of painting to get the mable right. I will upload a picture of a taverna later today!

Castus: Yes, I do the whole shebang - Forts, Roads, Houses, Domuses, defensive walls, baths, etc. Currently I am making a theatre.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
I remember some Connolly-illustrations regarding this. Smile It's quite interesting that there were no seperations, no borders between the people sitting there. Maybe it tells something about the Roman idea of privacy?
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:I remember some Connolly-illustrations regarding this. Smile It's quite interesting that there were no seperations, no borders between the people sitting there. Maybe it tells something about the Roman idea of privacy?

Indeed - and it would be interesting to see if their use declined with the advance of Christianity, as nudity and 'immodesty' became taboo.

R. Neil Harrison
Quote:I remember some Connolly-illustrations regarding this. Smile It's quite interesting that there were no seperations, no borders between the people sitting there. Maybe it tells something about the Roman idea of privacy?

VERY NICE
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua