Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman and other dioramas
first time on this modeling thing, that's why I'm a little lost :oops:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/see_tsm.htm
(sorry, I cant' find the official site)

trumpeter infantry models, some missing (legionnaires & carthaginian).

saludos!
Juan J. Campo
Tierra del Fuego - Argentina

"Alea iacta est"
Quote:first time on this modeling thing, that's why I'm a little lost
uh, I see. I thought you have a special problem.One thing I'd suggest, you make a ruler that shows lengths in your figurines scale. This will help you, to observe realistic distances in the diorama.

Quote:http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/see_tsm.htm
(sorry, I cant' find the official site)
Thanks for the link, but there are no actual figurines to see ... anyway, its hard to assess something just by viewing, but once I owned some from Tamiya, and those are really good (at least the WWII kits; amazingly great modelled faces) if you want to be on the safe side. Smile

all the best,
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Very nice!

I seem to have a weakness for expensive hobbys... :roll:
¡Danke Tiberius!
Juan J. Campo

"Alea iacta est"
Nice work Tiberius!
I especially like the Gettysburg diorama. We just came back from a week of camping in Gettysburg. I go there almost every year every with my Confederate Brigade to put on a living history demonstration. Our Regiment camps in Pitzer's Woods on the left end of Pickett's Charge, but my family and I stay at a campground off Taneytown Road closer to where my Union Regiment (15th Mass) fought at the Copse of Trees. This campground has the largest diorama of the battle. I believe it is also the largest military diorama in the U.S. Check it out at .... http://www.artilleryridge.com/museind.html
I am currently painting figures for a similar scene that will include the apex oF the "Angle"& Cushings Battery down past Cowan's NY Battery to the left of the Second Corps line. The focus will be on the 15th, 19th and 20th Mass coming around the front of the Copse of trees and into the flank of Armistead's advance. If you ever need any info on ACW stuff, I've got tons of books.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Very good job. My congratulations.
Quote:http://www.artilleryridge.com/museind.html

800 square feet.
20.000 hand painted figures.

No coments. Just... amazing. Confusedhock:
Juan J. Campo

"Alea iacta est"
I wonder what scale the models/figures are. They look pretty small, and I have seen wagons very much like those in 25mm.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I wonder what scale the models/figures are. They look pretty small, and I have seen wagons very much like those in 25mm.
They are indeed 25mm-1/72 scale. Just about every figure available. Originally it covered only July 2nd & 3rd. He later added the action northwest of town from July 1st and a number of other larger scale vignettes along the surrounding walls. It is accompanied by a sound and light narration that spotlights all the major fights. During the night-time intervals little glowing campfires dot the landscape. There are also lights (wheatlamps or LEDs) hidden in the wisps of material that simulate powder smoke. These blink when that portion of the line is engaged. I hope to do something similar with my large project as well using fiber-optics buried in the ground cover. It really livens up an otherwise static display. They even note the spot where the campground and Diorama now sit. At the time it was the location of the Union Artillery Reserve. Once I finish the CivWar diorama I will start on a Roman one. I haven't settled on a scenario yet, maybe Cremona or something fron Trajan's.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Randi,
I'm glad you liked it and thanks much for the offer concerning the info. Much appreciated. Big Grin BTW, you can't imagine how much I'd like to participate in re-enacting at Gettysburg. I read that lots of Germans served with the Federals, even though I have a weak spot for the Confeds ... I was a fan at least since the movie adaption of John Jakes' "North and South", I really got enthusiastic after I saw "Gettysburg". I heard they had some 13,000 ACW-reenactors as extras. Did you happen to have been one of them? Must have been great.
The diorama you provided the link for is just stunning. I wonder how many years it took to finish. 20.000 minis! I painted some 250 figurines (from Revell and Esci) and that took me a while.
From that you said, I guess yours will be somewhat bigger. 500-1000 minis roughly? Using LED's sounds cool. I had had plans to integrate some electronics too, i.e. some miniature light bulbs with a little amount of BB, to simulate explosion. But I left this out.
It would be cool, if you would post from time to time some pictures of the progress. That's something I miss about my dioramas. Sad Anyway, I wish you good luck with your diorama.

I'll make a further photo of my diorama with my new camera later and post it then.

Hastati,
how do you get along with your diorama? Found some good figurines? Smile

all the best,
Quote:Randi,
BTW, you can't imagine how much I'd like to participate in re-enacting at Gettysburg. I read that lots of Germans served with the Federals, even though I have a weak spot for the Confeds ... I was a fan at least since the movie adaption of John Jakes' "North and South", I really got enthusiastic after I saw "Gettysburg". I heard they had some 13,000 ACW-reenactors as extras. Did you happen to have been one of them? Must have been great.
There were entire regiments of German immigrants, especially in Howard's 11th Corps. They weren't very well liked or trusted by the rest of the army, but much of this can be attributed to xenophobia. Just last night I read about an instance where an artillery battery was sent to support a "Dutch" regiment in a potentially tight spot at Gettysburg. The gunners said "We'll stand and fight as long as you don't run on us". Not only did the Germans stand fast and support them, as soon as the guns had staggered the advancing Rebs the infantry delivered a devastating counterattack. A mutual trust and respect between the two units developed. In my Regiment, the 15th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, one of the men from my hometown killed at Antietam was a German immigrant. His name was Conrad Amptauer, but he had "anglicized" it when he enlisted to Conrad M. Tower.
If you, or any other RAT'ers get the chance to visit the States (with the Euro strong against the dollar it's probably much easier) I have a bunch of loaner gear and can borrow more. Aside from the smaller local events we usually attend one major reenactment every season. Events run in 5 year cycles so this year we're focused on battles from 1863. Next season will probably be Petersburg. I wasn't involved with "Gettysburg" of "Gods and Generals", but many of my friends were. The biggest event I've been to was 140th Antietam. There were about 12,000 participants and nearly 100 cannon. We were in the third wave that marched into the cornfield and the next day we fought our way over the sunken road. The feeling of being there, some call it "period rush" was intense. Some day I hope we can get even a tenth that many Romans together.
Attached is a photo of one of my 1/1 scale modeling projects. Its a wooden copy of a 12-pound Napoleon Howitzer. We call it "Napoleon Blown-Apart". It really adds to the scenery.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
wow, that looks great and thanks for the interesting info.
I dabbled in Civil War reenactment a few years ago, but stayed in Kentucky, primarily the battle of Perryville. Definitely worth checking out considering how 'popular' the Civil War is, especially in Dixie, where so many come out to play the various roles.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
that looks really good Big Grin
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:Wonderful work! Now, when exactly are you going to put together the entire Battle of Pharsalus, so we can see how that fight really went?
:lol: Confusedhock:

Don't we all wish we knew the real answer to your question. Pharsalus has been a long time interest of mine. Last year I pulled up the satellite view (Google Earth) of the genral area of where we think the battle took place and do I have some unanswered questions.
Gregory

I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nice Roman dioramas from Cremerius-Modelle Uwe Bahr 20 6,122 10-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Caius Valens