Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copper Rivet Making
Salve, all.

I did a search, but was unsuccessful, so forgive me if this topic has been covered before.

I'm interested in making large copper rivets, with perhaps a shank diameter of 1/4" to 1/2". A blacksmith I am working with has been helping me using modern methods (air hammer), but any insights or experiences in making rivets would be appreciated using hand tools.

Thanks in advance.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Get your blacksmith to show you how to make a nail header. A rivet is just a short nail with no point needed, after all. Once done, a hand hammer will do the same thing as a power hammer, it just takes longer, and uses muscle power instead of a machine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I do hope these are not for shields, as a lot of data show nails with large domed carpenter tack like heads. The sharp ends were folded over and driven into the shield.

By the way, guys, Germanic shieldboss in Batavian context found with nice ROUND ring on which rivet was preened. :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
David, thanks for the advice.

No, Robert, most certainly not. The rivets are for my latest catapulta, a 2" scorpio. I'll be riveting the steel plating to the spring frame, as well as the trigger mechanism to the end of the slider.

The machine weighs in at 17 pounds so far, and is about 5' long.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Oh, Robert, isn't that known as dead nails, when you drive the ends in? Dead as a doornail, so to speak Smile
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
*squee*

Can't wait to see the completed engines, Dane!

Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)