Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should makers and vendors stamp (sign) their products?
Should makers and vendors stamp (sign) with a name or logo their products in an not visible when wearing area? This was I believe done on some items in the roman period and would be useful in identifying used gear that is offered for sale.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Hmmm I have signed some swords but not all, but I think it depends on the intended purpose of the item and there is a issue with weither or not the origonal was marked. This also leads to do you use the origonal makers mark or your own :?: As ever it may be better the owner put there name on it, which leads to if you need to sell the item that this may make the item too personal for a new owner.Interesting thought though Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
If a maker must put a maker mark on an object I prefer something that looks like what the ancients did.

I don't like the eagle's head deepeeka puts on stuff...

Luc de Vos puts his name on the backside of his replica's, but he uses a latin version of it. His makers mark is: 'Lucius Vulpes fecit'.
Vos (Dutch word) means fox in English.
I think this is a much better way to do it than to use a modern sign or symbol.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Matt Lukes stamps a lot of his stuff and it looks superb and authentic IMHO (MLF in a Tabula I think?). There are quite a number of original objects that have makers stamps on them IIRC.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I agree If someone want to mark it's own work, I think he is on his right, The only condition for me is that it must not be visible when wearing, as john said.

I have a pair of greaves that are signed inside and that's not a problem for me, and it is an opportunity for the maker to say "this is my great work"
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
It's also a way to prove "this is a reproduction" and foil some of the online fakers. Wouldn't it be sweet to see some "Original Roman Helmet" being sold online, and one of the photos is marked "Made in India" on the underside of the bowl? Confusedhock:

Back in Fur Trade days, I traded an adult (he was something of a smart alecky type) a tomahawk, saying "Now this is a genuine Indian tomahawk". He didn't get it for the longest time that I could say that with a straight face because it was stamped "INDIA" just next to the eye. Then he got mad. Wonder why?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
We've discussed this before...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)