Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol price action
I don't even own a car, but we're really being ripped off here in the UK. It might not be suitable for here, but maybe a few will read the suggested action. I will add that it's not politics, but consumer related.

We are hitting 1.20 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying nearly£1.30 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ...

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,
all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO below the .80p LITRE RANGE
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
hm, strange this comes up just now ... we have a similiar boycott call in Germany ... unfortunately here they demand to boycott Shell and Total and buy at all others Esso and BP included. :?

... seems to be the counter offensive of the oil industry.

what about other countries?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
I doubt that the prices will come down, because the industry,energy plants and heavy traffic are still using oil as normally- I have a simple solution to the problem: buy a bicycle, it doesn't take anything and gives you a good health. I've tested it against public transportation(bus), I was quicker in the rush hour than the bus(and certainly faster than a car). You can also go to the store with it and buy lots of goods, its easier to transport it on a bike than it sounds. You can easily go 40-60 kilometres in a day without tiring yourself, try it out. Big Grin
Juuso Laasonen
Where do the oil companies come into this Tarb? 75% of the price is tax?

SAying that, BP prices do vary by 10p from station to station, but that still doesnot get away from the fact the majority of what we pay is tax.

And that price variation would be accounted by the greed of the licencee of the station.......

A rough figure, off the top of my head

For a $100 barrel of oil, the Gov gets 50%
For the 159l of petrol in a barrel of refined, the gov gets $200.......

OPEC only gets the $100 rough figure.......

I recall after the truck drivers brought the govt to a standstill,
the only people the media interviewed wer e the city types who found it all a big inconvienience........what a coincidence......

I would classify this as Spam mate, to be blunt!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, are you saying the oil companies aren't screwing the British public, regardless of the tax?

I think the spam accusation is ludicrous.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
They are not the ones making the most out of it......but you be live what you want mate.

A certain persons promises to speak to OPEC to raise their production to lower the prices fell on deaf ears because the actually make less out of it per barrel than he does.

Where are your facts coming from? How much of the price of oil is an oil companies to keep........not 75% tax. Certainly not the 86 percent it was only a few years ago........

Spam is something you would interpret as some thing that gets people worked up with misinformation or did I misunderstand you a few months ago? :roll: :?

Before you go on a crusade you should look at the reality of the situation........the oil companies spend a fortune bringing it out of the ground, yes ,and they make a profit.....but the govt gets the tax regardless of weather the companies are making a profit or losing.........
I don't recall the price of petrol coming down when the price of oil
was down in the teens....it still went up and up, until the truckers got the balls to stand up and say something...... :wink:

Yes I am all for the actions of the truck drivers, because that has actually worked. It just takes a little backbone on every-ones parts to back them up instead of wimping out......simply because of the inconvenience it causes them......no offense but it quite easy to blame the oil companies....
for some reason they don't invest in slick spin doctors the way most industries do...

I don't recall the media making much press of the thousands of people who were losing their homes and livelihoods in the eighties and nineties from the oil industry. They were too busy living it large wit hall the fat cats in London if I recall!

My apologies to the mods but Tarb....this is just pure propaganda
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The really big reason that the prices are going up is that the supply has been held pretty constant for the last 20 years or so, but the demand has tripled, and now with China and India coming on board as motor-driven economies, it will only increase the demand.

There is more oil than is being brought up. It's laws that keep it in the ground, not the businessmen.

We need to be careful here, though, brothers, because we could easily and quickly stray into modern politics, etc. and get ourselves in trouble.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes that is very true as well Dave, but to let it go without the trueth being argued is not in my nature....I may not on top of everything Roman, but i do know the oil industry.......and yes sometimes i bitch about them too, but lets stick to the reality of things............
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Then you'll be interested in this:
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article4793.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I know exactly who was profiting from the last recession too Jim, it wasn't the oil industry, but the people like the guy who made that report......
so I am sorry, I don't agree at all with you Jim.

These are the figures the media and the finacial and govt leaders may want circulated, but I know that OIL Companies do not sit on reserves, the GOVT's do......so unless you want to continue this highly POLITICAL thread, which is what it is if the TRUETH is to have any bearing on this issue, I would say you are barking up the wrong tree mate.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You're the one turning it into politics! Trying to get the thread closed by any chance?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Gaius I agree with you 100%. Sorry Jim, but this type of email has been circulating here in the US for at least the past 8 years. I read an article recently that stated that for the average American driver to really see a dent in the budget gasoline would have to rise to 10 USD per gallon Confusedhock:

Its currently around 4.00 USD per gallon in my neck o' the woods. Sure, it hurts to fill up the tank, but its not hurting myself, or my family to the point we are making drastric changes.

I mainly feel for the pizza delivery guys, the paper delivery etc etc

Until we buckle down and develop a practical alternative to fossil fuels, we will continue to use them since they are the cheapest form of fuel to produce.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
How can you say its not political in the first place mate.....

No the facts are here the govt makes a fortune out of the oil industry.....
so while it is feasable to boycott certain companies, lets just keep it on the correct track......don't paint it as if the oil companies are the ones who are screwing the public OK :wink:

And of course the other true offenders, the financial inverstor/speculator.......just look at the property market where ever they go.....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'd seriously suggest I'm not the one falling foul of propaganda.

Still, I do like this quote from Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani; "The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2001 ... landpetrol
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
What is your point Jim? The media as your source?
Give me abreak.... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petrol to hydrogen conversions (HHO) Tarbicus 29 5,243 07-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar