Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress
Amazing Barry.

Legion: TBD
Thanks Matt Big Grin

Just the last palmette to complete and job done.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Absolutely brillant Svlla Big Grin D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thanks Brennivs!

Luckily not many mistakes with this one - nearly caught the scabbard on fire when I was doing just a last little bit of soldering in-situ though!!!

Plenty of mistakes when I did the pugio scabbard though. I made 13 of the hanger/suspension loop pieces before I managed to get 4 reasonable ones to use!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Very nice Mate! Big Grin
Yeah this is realy stunning work, verry pretty!!

May I ask one little question...
How much soldering was there actualy don by the Romans, in those times...?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
If you are talking about sword fittings it varys I have pics that show pieces soldered together and the same piece that are not :? D On the hole I have not come across many examples of other items, other than jewelry.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
That is exactly what I found Brennivs - there is clear evidence of soldered parts but not consistent. I rivetted the suspension bands in place (which is seen on surviving pieces as well as simple nailing to the wooden core). However, there was still some movement which I did not like, so I added some solder just to make everything secure.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Here is the palmette (third attempt) which is made in two pieces and soldered together (cheating I know but I just could not get it hammered out from 1 piece of brass):

[Image: 29-1.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
And here it is offered up in place on the scabbard. Not entirely happy with the palmette so stand by for version 4!:

[Image: 30.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
just getting better and better...
ALA I BATAVORUM
I wonder if using Bronze, like the Romans often did would make the hammering out of the palmettes easier. Don't know. Bronze is fairly hard to come by without ordering from metallurgy suppliers, or making it yourself (not an easy task in itself). And with copper prices these days, well, you know.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That is a good point David. What I found was that I just could not get the width required for the palmette. Speaking with Matt Lukes though I think I started off with too thin a piece of brass stock.

I also wondered if they were actually rough cast and then finally hammered into shape and finished off.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I had an original palmette which apeared to be hammered and cut in the same way yours is, but the sheet was about 1mm thick.
Here is a picture of the completed scabbard "in Action". Due to a slight technical hitch I could not go with the twin belt set up as planned :oops:

[Image: DSC00957.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,737 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,238 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,548 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert