Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What movies do you watch over and over?
One that I always come back to is Gangs of new York.

Others would indeed include Bladerunner The Italian Job (English version with real Minis!) and Life of Brian!

Despite its now very out-dated special effects, DUNE is an old favourite!
Oh yea i forgot to mention "american history x"
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
No order...
  • Soldier (1998)
    Patton (1970)
    Alien(s) (1979, 1986)
    Stargate (1994)
    Predator (1987)
    Ben-Hur (1959)
    Conan (1982, 1984)
    Blazing Saddles (1974)
    El Cid (1961)
    A Man For All Seasons (1966)
    The Beast, aka "The Beast of War" (1988)

TV:
  • I, Claudius (1976)
    Jesus of Nazareth (1977)
    Masada (1981)
    Joseph (1995)
    The Three Stooges (technically not TV, but...) :lol:

~Theo
Jaime
The first time I saw Blade Runner, I was very, very drunk.
I saw the version without narration. I was amazed at the story.
The next time I saw the film was with the narration, imagine how puzzled I was, and the ending was not what I had remembered. I figured I had been drinking so much that the film was not as I remembered. Only with the multi-version set was my fears of alcoholic revisionism cured. :lol: :roll: Big Grin
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I think i have a few more to add on:
1) Zulu (saw it as a kid from behind the couch).
2)Rob Roy too(loved that scene inside the cow)
3)Anything to do with the Napoleonic era, i LOVE it,pity i cant find too many!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Quote:Zulu. Unlike a lot of movies, this is one I wouldn't mind seeing remade. Nothing about this movie struck me as contrived or artificial. I especially like the roll call scene at the end.

Do you really want to see it ruined then, with CGI Zulu's who win in the end because it is more PC, Brad Pitt as Bromhead and Keanu Reeves as Chard murdering the English language rather than the enemy and Scarlett Johansson as the Swedish missionary......hang on actually not a bad idea, roll on remake!

Any other ideas for remakes of favourite films and who today would star in them?

Graham.

P.S David
Quote:Let me know what you think about The Horse's Mouth.

I will look out for it and let you know but it will be hard pressed to beat my favourite line from The Rebel when Mrs Cravat looks at a painting by Hancock and asks him "whats that?" and he replies "It's a self portrait" and she says "who of?"
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:The Warlord. Charlton Heston again, this time supporting an unfashionable Norman hairstyle. The rest of the cast look like they have stepped straight out of the Bayeux Tapestry. One of the few Hollywood epics that actually has an authentic ancient world feel.
A favorite of mine too. It's probably the first non-romanticised Medieval film, afaik. The costumes and armor look great. But aren't the haircuts anachronistic, too late for the period ?

Quote:The Lion in Winter Terrific performances from all concerned as intrigue and drama takes place at the Christmas court of Henry II. Did the Plantagenets really talk like this? Who cares just enjoy every scene of an acting tour de force! First class music from John Barry as well, what more could you ask for?
Certainly one of the wittiest films ever made ! It can be thought of as a sequel to Beckett which I also enjoy watching.

Quote:The Adventures of Robin Hood.
I saw it about 2 years ago on TV for the first time and was impressed. It's certainly the best Robin Hood ever made by far, IMO.

Similar to this film is Ivanhoe starring Robert Taylor. That film has a great jousting scene which is only surpassed by the one in El Cid, IMO. :o

Quote:Cleopatra Often overlooked and underated but this could have been THE ancient Roman epic of all time. One of the few films which captures the opulence and scale of the past. As youngster I used to like the second half best as that had the battle, but as I grew older I appreciated the first half more and more and every scene Rex Harrison is in is a real gem. I love the dialogue on the palace steps between Caesar and the Ptolemaic court.
I agree, the first half is better. If I were to chart my interest on a "X,Y" axis it would peak at the beginning (Pharsalius) and gradually decline with no "peaks" or "spikes". The naval battle didn't impress me as much as the one in Ben-Hur.

~Theo
Jaime
Yes Jaime I like Ivanhoe as well. The joust is very good and sadly whenever I see any medieval re-enactors performing it just is not the same. No one flies off the horse as they did in that film and lands in a mangled heap! Of course I understand why but that's the magic of the movies! I also like the fact that they look like they are wearing real mail, with an arming cap underneath, which almost obscures the face as in the many effigies. Not many actors would do that, instead they tend to go for the knitted wool balaclava look!

However I am amazed that you have only seen the Flynn Robin Hood for the first time two years ago! Basil Rathbone was brilliant and I also like Robert Douglas in Ivanhoe, he was another Brit who often played the foil against Flynn as well.

If you ever get to see the other Robin Hood with Patrick Bergin, not Kevin Costner, look very carefully and you might spot yours truly! I was an extra playing a Norman knight in the church, which was filmed in Cheshire. I do not think I have ever earned so much for just standing around all day, plus we got three free meals as well! That is not a bad film by the way but sadly it came out at the same time as the Costner version so vanished without trace, a shame it is the better film.

David, I wish I had friends like yours who invite movie stars around for lunch! But I suppose that is one advantage of living with a CA postcode rather than CH!!
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:David, I wish I had friends like yours who invite movie stars around for lunch! But I suppose that is one advantage of living with a CA postcode rather than CH!!

Believe me it is not a common occurrence -- in this case is was the serendipity of good timing.

Living in Burbank we do see actors and directors on a regular basis, most do not have an entourage of guards or camp followers and are generally relaxed and friendly.

However, lunch...

I'm just trying to be a good man among our common men, so lunch with a star is usually me in a theatre munching popcorn and them on screen chewing up the scenery. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I've been to Medieval Times (the famous restaurant chain where you watch a Tournament while you eat dinner.) You sit in a kind of arena and watch about eight Knights doing stunts and jousting. It was very entertaining and probably more exciting to watch than two ordinary reenactors who don't get to practice all that much. Doing it for a living makes a difference :wink:

[Image: Medieval_Times.jpg]

Quote:If you ever get to see the other Robin Hood with Patrick Bergin, not Kevin Costner, look very carefully and you might spot yours truly! I was an extra playing a Norman knight in the church, which was filmed in Cheshire. I do not think I have ever earned so much for just standing around all day, plus we got three free meals as well! That is not a bad film by the way but sadly it came out at the same time as the Costner version so vanished without trace, a shame it is the better film.

A local store carries the film on VHS. I'll check it out.
It sounds like you had fun, Graham.
I wish I got to be an extra even if I wasn't paid.

~Theo
Jaime
Hey, nobody's mentioned Guccione's "Caligula!" Romans behaving (badly) like real Romans, by God! Also, there's Fellini's "Satyricon," with Romans as beings from another planet.
Pecunia non olet
A lot of people didn't like this one but
I have to watch "Platoon" now and then as well.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Good Morning Vietnam....was kinda funny....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel