and then some classics like

The Great Escape

Papion
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Quote:You a Browncoat Matt?

No power in the verse can stop us! Completely missed it off my list but I have seen Serenity at least 20 times - fantastic movie!

Why the HELL did that series get cancelled??? Nothing else that calls itself science fiction even compares. Mind you, I'm a perfectly good Trek fan, but I fidgeted through 2 seasons of "Star Trek: Enterprise" just waiting for a really good episode, and it never happened. Been watching old tapes of DS9, which is great, but no WAY does it come close to the brilliance of a Firefly episode. Borrowed the first season of Farscape, and it reasonably good, but come on...

I missed Firefly when it first aired, but borrowed it from a friend later, and 10 minutes into the first show I was in love with every character. Brilliantly scripted, perfect acting. The movie didn't lose a thing.

Gah, and I loaned it to my wretched sister and HAVE to get it back from her!

Really looking forward to the next season of Sarah Connor Chronicles and Heroes.

Shiny!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Does anyone remember the old italian version of "Odysseus / Ulysses" in the seventies? I am still in love with the Penelope played by Irene Papas and I was about six then! I can still recall the ripping sound of the electric guitar of the soundtrack, like Link Wray meeting Kirke :wink: . I also watched Polyfemos under the blanket...

Btw, does anyone remember (a sequel?) an italian "Aeneiis" or am I dreaming? It is over thirty years ago but I can still remember some bronze (?) triangular villanovan daggers...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:How the &^$%$ did you find that clip?? Confusedhock:
:lol: ... just typed the name of the title while browsing youtube Smile ... seems to have been posted just recently ... I was actually wondering more who would digitalize and upload the clip. ;-) )

Quote:And I read somewhere (though I can not now find the link) that the British military voted Zulu as the best war film of all time.
... just noticed, that we talk about two different films ... I meant Zulu Dawn, which is about the earlier events at Isandlhwana, but was actually produced later than Zulu, which btw seems never to have been aired here in Germany. Anyway, to make a connection to Rome, the German Wiki says that in Zulu the Zulu war chants were used for the Germans in Gladiator :o ... must pay some attention next time I watch it.

as to my list: I would add Getaway (1976) which I'm watching right now 8)
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:Does anyone remember the old italian version of "Odysseus / Ulysses" in the seventies? I am still in love with the Penelope played by Irene Papas and I was about six then! I can still recall the ripping sound of the electric guitar of the soundtrack, like Link Wray meeting Kirke :wink: . I also watched Polyfemos under the blanket...

Btw, does anyone remember (a sequel?) an italian "Aeneiis" or am I dreaming? It is over thirty years ago but I can still remember some bronze (?) triangular villanovan daggers...

Here's some info on "The Aeneis":
[url:am4a0ext]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271898/[/url]

Yes, I remember both. The Odyssey is out on DVD in Germany (German and Italian audio), good stuff:
[url:am4a0ext]http://www.amazon.de/Die-Odyssee-DVDs-Bekim-Fehmiu/dp/B000GJ0IUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1212530468&sr=1-1[/url]
Aka
Christoph
Quote: Anyway, to make a connection to Rome, the German Wiki says that in Zulu the Zulu war chants were used for the Germans in Gladiator :o ... must pay some attention next time I watch it.

Just watched both films relevant sections. There is a brief overlap. Both the Zulu and the Dacian / (German?) say "Koom!" which is a salute given by the Zulu and related tribes. The Zulu form battle order in Impi (age cohorts: ibutho). They beat the shield with their assegai and give the Koom! salute. They then advance with a cadence step that clears grass and shrub before charging at a set distance. Since the film was made in the 60s on location using Zulu tribesmen, this exercise is probably based on a practice within living memory. The Zulu sequence is most impressive and obviously not done on the spur with extras. This may be a glimpse into how the spear equiped Roman Auxilla may have formed up and maneuvered as a matter of pragmatism. Independent invention, that is, arriving at the same adaptive solution by separate means is possible. Josephus notes the Roman practice of beating on the shield and giving the "War Cry". It may also be worth noting the Zulu "Horns of the Buffalo" formation which is similar to what Hannibal used at Cannae. This is again probably a matter of independent invention.
R. Izard
Quote:
sulla felix:1qzcidcy Wrote:You a Browncoat Matt?

No power in the verse can stop us! Completely missed it off my list but I have seen Serenity at least 20 times - fantastic movie!

Why the HELL did that series get cancelled??? Nothing else that calls itself science fiction even compares. Mind you, I'm a perfectly good Trek fan, but I fidgeted through 2 seasons of "Star Trek: Enterprise" just waiting for a really good episode, and it never happened. Been watching old tapes of DS9, which is great, but no WAY does it come close to the brilliance of a Firefly episode. Borrowed the first season of Farscape, and it reasonably good, but come on...

I missed Firefly when it first aired, but borrowed it from a friend later, and 10 minutes into the first show I was in love with every character. Brilliantly scripted, perfect acting. The movie didn't lose a thing.

Gah, and I loaned it to my wretched sister and HAVE to get it back from her!

Really looking forward to the next season of Sarah Connor Chronicles and Heroes.

Shiny!

Matthew

Matt - could not agree more. The cast, scripts, feel, everything was just bang on! I actually saw Serenity first and only then realised that Firefly came before! Damn those network executives! I occasionally hear rumours of another movie and live in hope!

Enterprise just sucked big time - great idea but very poor execution! I,m afraid I just stick to the one, the only, the original.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:
Virilis:1t1zpx0w Wrote:Does anyone remember the old italian version of "Odysseus / Ulysses" in the seventies? I am still in love with the Penelope played by Irene Papas and I was about six then! I can still recall the ripping sound of the electric guitar of the soundtrack, like Link Wray meeting Kirke :wink: . I also watched Polyfemos under the blanket...

Here's some info on "The Aeneis":
[url:1t1zpx0w]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271898/[/url]

Yes, I remember both. The Odyssey is out on DVD in Germany (German and Italian audio), good stuff:
[url:1t1zpx0w]http://www.amazon.de/Die-Odyssee-DVDs-Bekim-Fehmiu/dp/B000GJ0IUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1212530468&sr=1-1[/url]

Thanks Christoph Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote: Anyway, to make a connection to Rome, the German Wiki says that in Zulu the Zulu war chants were used for the Germans in Gladiator

Yes, that part of the Gladiator soundtrack is flat-out stolen from Zulu. That's incredibly cheap and tacky, not to mention dumb and pointless. What, they couldn't get all those burlap-wrapped extras to yell? What a stupid flick.

Usu-thu!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Lord of the Ring (first)
Indiana Jones (first)
Ghost in the Shell
Bladerunner
Fight club
Ran
Quote:
Tiberius Clodius Corvinus:1eq2crfd Wrote:Anyway, to make a connection to Rome, the German Wiki says that in Zulu the Zulu war chants were used for the Germans in Gladiator

Yes, that part of the Gladiator soundtrack is flat-out stolen from Zulu. That's incredibly cheap and tacky, not to mention dumb and pointless. What, they couldn't get all those burlap-wrapped extras to yell? What a stupid flick.

Usu-thu!

Matthew

I noticed that the very first time we saw the film in a theatre -- the Zulu war chant is so distinctive (as is the final song from the film Zulu Dawn which is still rattling around in my head even now) that it is hard to believe THEY did not think anyone would notice.

Just one of many reasons that film drives me crazy. (The helmets and the Neo-SS Praetorian Guards drive me crazy too.) :?

On the other hand...

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp -- now that's a film I enjoy again and again. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Tiberius Clodius Corvinus:33y7nx17 Wrote:Anyway, to make a connection to Rome, the German Wiki says that in Zulu the Zulu war chants were used for the Germans in Gladiator

Usu-thu!

Matthew

And thats Hollywood!!!! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It seems a lot of RATers like similar movies!

Here are some of mine. I have many favourite movies which I will always watch but these are the ones I play again and again and often have them on in the background when I am working on paintings, so dialogue and music are just as important as the visuals.

In no apparent order of preference or with regards to historical accuracy.

The Fall of the Roman Empire. Great sets and costumes and the best Forum set ever built with or without CGI! I saw this when I was five so it explains a lot and some scenes stuck with me for ever. Romans or Roman forts in the snow have appeared in my artwork ever since. Ancient Rome perhaps as it should have been rather than it was but in movie terms perhaps the closest we will ever get. Tiomkin's soundtrack is unlike any other Roman epic movie and takes a bit of getting used to.

The Robe. A great story if nothing else and probably some of the most accurate suits of Roman armour on screen for it's day. Remember when you are blaming Hollywood for red tunics that this epic has Legionaries in blue and Praetorians in white with dark red cloaks! Who can forget Jay Robinson's mad turn as the crazed Caligula. It went to his head too in real life. Power corrupts and absolute power... , well you know the rest! Watch out for the duel scene when Richard Burton gets cut for real. They just kept on filming!

The Charge of the Light Brigade. Not the Flynn version. Fantastic performances by Trevor Howard and Co. David Hemmings looks just like the portrait of Captain Nolan. One does not know whether to laugh or cry as the tragedy unfolds so just sit back and enjoy all the memorable lines which sounds almost authentically Victorian. A longer version exists which has such memorable scenes as a picket nearly shooting Lord Raglan and officers eating the soldiers breakfast!

The Ten Commandments. Whatever you might say about De Mille he certainly knew how to deliver a spectacle and a sense of history, there is even an ambassador from Troy! This is an Alma Tadema painting brought to life and a visual treat. "So let it be written, so let it be done"!

The Warlord. Charlton Heston again, this time supporting an unfashionable Norman hairstyle. The rest of the cast look like they have stepped straight out of the Bayeux Tapestry. One of the few Hollywood epics that actually has an authentic ancient world feel.

Zulu. Britains greatest epic and perennial favourite. Unlike 'Zulu Dawn' it only has a few Zulu extras but you do not notice. Again Like 'Zulu Dawn' not much happens in the first hour but unlike that film once again you do not notice as you slowly get to know each of the characters and experience their predicament. The inspiration for countless other last stand scenes from 'Starship troopers' which even has a mad officer saying "you are all going to die" to 'Dog Soldiers'. John Barry provided the music, say no more!

The Draughtman's Contract. Terrific Costumes and dialogue. The idea of getting sexual favours in return for drawings is a novel idea plus some striking music and camera work.

The Battle of Britain. Hard to beat the sounds of real period aircraft. Stirring music and an endless supply of quotes you can reel off at re-enactment events. "You can teach monkey's to fly better than that! "Spring chicken to shitehawk in one easy lesson"! The band of the RAF liked the opening music so much they wanted to use it as their signature, until it was pointed out that it was the Luftwaffe theme tune!

Where Eagle's Dare. From the moment you see that Junkers in camouflage flying over the Alps you are hooked. Countless plot holes and improbable situations are glossed over in a real boy's own adventure. "Broadsword calling Danny Boy" anyone! Another musical score from Ron Goodwin who also did 'Battle of Britain' and '633 Squadron'.

Cleopatra Often overlooked and underated but this could have been THE ancient Roman epic of all time. One of the few films which captures the opulence and scale of the past. As youngster I used to like the second half best as that had the battle, but as I grew older I appreciated the first half more and more and every scene Rex Harrison is in is a real gem. I love the dialogue on the palace steps between Caesar and the Ptolemaic court.

The Lion in Winter Terrific performances from all concerned as intrigue and drama takes place at the Christmas court of Henry II. Did the Plantagenets really talk like this? Who cares just enjoy every scene of an acting tour de force! First class music from John Barry as well, what more could you ask for?

Paths of Glory Hollywood did not need British villains when they had the likes of George Macready, here at his reptillian best. "The only completly honest man in this whole affair"! After saying a mission is truly impossible until promotion is dangled in front of him then he sacrifices his whole regiment! Banned in France for years, look out for Kubricks influence in the walk through the trenches in the likes of 'A very Long Engagement' (another favourite) and 'Gladiator'. If the end does not make you cry there is something wrong with you.

The last of the Mohicans As I love this period this one one of my most anticipated films and I wasn't dissapointed. Just a cracking and convincing all round adventure story.

The Adventures of Robin Hood. The original comic book hero brought to life in vivid technicolour. Set the standard for all subsequent swashbucklers and rarely bettered since. My biggest dissapointment as a child was going to Nottingham and finding out that the castle looked nothing like the one in this film!

The Duelists. Whoever say's historical accuracy makes for poor movies has never seen this one, even the hairstyles change as the film progresses and are part and parcel of the story. Ridley Scotts first movie which makes 'Gladiator' even more depressing as he seems to have thrown away his own rule book when he made that.

Lawrence of Arabia. Simply superb. Everything about this movie oozes class, it even has camels and biplanes, you can't beat that. Yes I am one of those English who love the desert! The music score by Maurice Jarre has sadly become something of a cliche for any desert scene but nonetheless is still worth listening too.

The Blue Max. Still the best WWI aviation epic. One or two Tiger Moths but most of the planes are decent replicas of Fokker, Pfalz and Se5a aircraft. Spectacular flying sequences and just for good measure the 1918 Michael offensive in the background! One of Jerry Goldsmiths best scores which also incorporates traditional German military music.

Rob Roy. It was this films misfortune to come out at the same time as Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart' and to have an Irish lead playing a Scot instead of the said Australian-American. Plus although there is an English baddie (however probably the son of a Scot) the real baddies are other Scots. Nevertheless this film is a much grittier and realistic portrayl than 'Braveheart' and the hero is even out fourght at the end although he still manages to triumph!

Blade Runner I don't think I have ever been as gobsmacked by a movie when I first saw it as I was by this. OK so we don't have off world colonies yet or androids but this film has been hugely influential in many other ways. The attention to detail is fantastic and it has a memorable score by Vangelis which is a perfect compliment to the movie. The effects are outstanding and hard to believe are over 25 years old!

The Four Feathers. Everyone says this is 'the original' but in fact this 1930's version was already the third attempt. It is one of the most filmed stories of all times and scenes from this one appeared in many other later films as stock footage. The last remake with Heath Ledger was good but had no period feel to it at all, the story is about people trapped by their world so acting like modern kids in Victorian costume just does not work. Filmed on location less than 40 years after the events it depicted you just could not make a movie like this nowadys. Sadly dated but still an entertaining way to spend an hour or so, remembering how "war was war in those days"!

King Arthur. No only kidding, but I do like the music by Hans Zimmer , much better than 'Gladiator'. I also play soundtracks by James Horner or Bernard Hermann.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Sorry post got posted twice somehow so deleted the second one!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Some great films on your list Graham no doubt about it. Smile

Indeed what happened to Mr. Scott. The Duelists proves he understands the concept of historical accuracy -- perhaps recreating the age of Napoleon is easier than the age of Caesar. :?

So many good films and never enough time. Cry

Naukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA