Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids)
Yes. I am a violinist and about to start teaching the Suzuki method of violin to kids. That's why I have been so busy this week. I have three more days to complete my first training coarse to teach. :o
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Chessboard is one option.

KIVOTIA + boxes here:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... y/f040.jpg

The clans mentioned in the previous post were connected with the Neilidae-Royal family of Pylos so EMVOLA(triangles) as they appear on the hearth of Bronze age palaces are fine too.

Kind regards
Quote:This is the design I am using on my shield.

[Image: FINAL001.jpg]

I will replace the sunburst shown with the following though.

[Image: Verginasun.png]

Great! I'm glad my comments from the last thread were of use to you. The design looks a lot better with the new Macedonian sun/star symbol! Looks a lot more authentic, well done! I look forward to seeing the finished shield! Big Grin
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
I haven't posted an update in a few days because I repainted the base colors. I was really unhappy with the red/yellow combination. The shield looked just like a Scutum color contrast, and I really did not want that look. I repainted the base with a very soft and dull yellow and then the inside of the back in a wine color.

First, I traced my main pattern on the front of the shield with black and red map pencils lightly.

[Image: 055.jpg]

Then, I painted the sunburst in the center section black and painted one coat of wine on the front.

[Image: 056.jpg]

Today, I painted the second coat of wine on the front and will let it dry 24 hours.

[Image: 057.jpg]

Tomorrow, I will clean up my lines and start painting either the rim key design or the inner circle key design.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
It looks perfect! I really love the combination of the colors! Much better than the bright yellow and bright red. It seems we're getting finished Big Grin
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Hello All

All the descriptions on the making of the Aspis is great and I will see what I can come up with this weekend. Always have to be the first on the block with an Aspis.

Theron
Theron

Plataean Hoplites

Worthless people love only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.

Socrates

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hippeis.com/">http://www.hippeis.com/
I have also been building my first Aspis over the last couple of months and have been keeping a similar ‘photo construction diary’ with the intention of both using it myself for next time, and to post on RAT for you lot. I have, however, been pipped to the post!! :lol: It’s nice to see others had a similar idea and it’s great you’ve recorded it in such detail Chris! I’m doing it at a much slower pace than Chris (I was doing the calculations for the wooden circles at Christmas!) and have been halted for the moment due to a lack of appropriately powerful tools so I was waiting to have it finished before posting (to save all your frustration and cries of “Hurry up!â€
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
Great job Chris, very impressive and of course I love your shield design :wink:
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
George,

Looks like your making nice progress absent power tools. I don't envy you there. :lol: Good luck with finishing it. I look forward to seeing it.

I think I am going to listen to Stefanos and replace at least the outer rim with the boxes shown in his link. I like the key pattern, but don't want to have it on the front twice. I think this shield needs some more contrast in patterns. I have a few hours to decide until I get off work.
Chris Boatcallie
Today I painted one coat of the rim on the front side. I may go back later tonight and put one coat on the inner ring. I did decide to change the rim design to a box design as suggested by Stefanos. I am going for an Athens Hoplite.

I made a new cardboard pattern and worked my way around the rim a few boxes at a time. I will use a key design on the inner ring and the design from the Chigi vase throat on the inside rim. It is looking better, but it is still several days worth of painting to be finished.

[Image: 058a.jpg]
Chris Boatcallie
Second anf Final Coat is now on the outer rim, and 1/3 of the inner ring is done. Tomorrow I will finish the outside of this aspis. Then I will paint the design on the inner rim and put the rope-work inside.

For those of you covering your shields with any kind of cloth and opting for an intricate design on the inside like the key pattern I am showing. TAKE YOUR TIME. It is a pain in the back side. Too much pressure and your brush or paintpen will flick paint over the lighter areas. The texture of the cloth is making it quite difficult to keep straight and clean, but I am doing it by going slower than I have ever painted before this shield.

[Image: 059a.jpg]

[Image: 060a.jpg]
Chris Boatcallie
Brilliant paint job. Laudes!

Hope to see it in person some day!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Wow!! Truly inspirational, it definitely sets a high mark for those of us just getting into this impression. I always love a challenge don't I Kineas. Big Grin

Theron
Theron

Plataean Hoplites

Worthless people love only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.

Socrates

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hippeis.com/">http://www.hippeis.com/
That is one beautiful aspis. What kind of paint did you use? It turned out so nicely.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Nice job.

Upper class gents like the Medontidae clan if married to a lady of status were displaying elements of their family tree on the shield.
The Medontidae had right to use purple (nice choice) because they were coming from royal linage. They were big-shots in the Ionic and Carian colonies. In the Carian coast colonies contacted Rhodian colonists who were Doreans. The Key pattern fits if the gent carrying was related to a Rhodian lady of the Dymanes Doric clan.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aspis Construction Method rocktupac 34 19,223 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rocktupac
  making an aspis Chuck Russell 153 60,387 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy