Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center-periphery theory
I am looking for some social-science publication that simply must exist - but I don't know where. There must be a theory that describes (or just postulates) that in a center-periphery exchange between cultures (e.g., Rome and the outer rim of provinces), both accept cultural aspects from each other, but that the periphery, almost by definition, takes more than it gives, and the center gives more than it takes.

There must be something. The dependencia-theoreticians and men like Wallerstein must have discussed this. Perhaps Braudel or the historians of the Annales school. But where?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Google scholar, of course.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en ... ry&spell=1
Ethan Gruber
Quote:Google scholar, of course.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en ... ry&spell=1

Misunderstanding: I am not looking for something specific about Rome, I am looking for the theoretical underpinning of the model itself, and about the way to operationalize the model. I should have been more explicit.
Jona Lendering
My website
I haven't read it - I got all my exposure to Wallerstein's theories second-hand, mostly orally in lectures - but he wrote "World Systems Analyysis - an Introduction' in 2004. At a mere 109 pages, that should contain the kind of bare-bones theory you are looking for, or at least the references there.

Though I suspect the assumption that the cultural transfers from the centre to the periphery are greater than the other way around is not exactly polite these days.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I think you best bet is still to use Google Scholar to find articles about your topic. It's just a search engine for journal archives.
Ethan Gruber
Quote:I think you best bet is still to use Google Scholar to find articles about your topic. It's just a search engine for journal archives.
Yes, I did several searches and found something. It was a very good suggestion - I ought to have said that. Thanks.
Quote:Though I suspect the assumption that the cultural transfers from the centre to the periphery are greater than the other way around is not exactly polite these days.
Yep, I know - and that's why I am looking for it. My next book will be pretty controversial, and unfortunately too political to discuss over here.
Jona Lendering
My website
Could you not make an argument that Rome (for instance) may have given a great deal (art, technology, trade, etc.) to all the bordering states, but only because it took a little from each one? Certainly it originated quite a bit, but did it in fact import more (collectively, from all) than it originated?

I'm not making an assertion; just thinking "out loud." It was clearly an intellectual crucible where ideas from different cultures could combine and create new things, but it also imported huge amounts from other cultures (e.g. Greek) wholesale.

And I understand you're looking for a general theory, while I'm discussing a specific example. But I'm wondering if the principle would be valid in general as well.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Apparent center-periphery effects are natural consequences of common human personal and social behaviors, as shown by simple to complex, dynamic, hierarchical organizations and relationships (locations, patterns, networks, etc.) within and between families, friends, neighbors, businesses, communities, counties, parishes, states, nations, alliances, etc. Many combinations, permutations, and resulting variations. Nevertheless, still much evidence supporting center-periphery concept.

Many related studies over these matters during the past century or so (my second degree is in geography (human / cultural / political, economic, and biological concentrations.).

Central Place Theory Image (animated)

Generally, per location theory, etc., etc., etc.: centers have tended to have net imports of raw materials, brains (artistic, scientific, technical, legal, etc.), and brawn; and peripheries have tended to have net imports of higher-tech goods, raw materials not locally available, and cultural products (artwork, literature, language, etc.).

Centers (by necessity and/or force, and by function) are publicly granted and/or have taken more authority, influence and control over laws, zoning, land uses, businesses, money, taxes, public works and service, public safety, militia, etc. in and around the center (sphere of influence, market area, etc.).

Right or wrong, in parts and degrees, for better or worse (enough caveats? :wink: ), some of the many researchers and their related studies include: Johann Heinrich von Thünen's 1826+ economic land use model, Halford Mckinder's 1909+ heartland concept, Alfred Weber's 1909+ industrial location works, Walter Christaller's 1933+ central place work, Torsten Hägerstrand's 1942+ migration, cultural diffusion, and time geography works. Of course, there were many others, before and after, greater and lesser, who have worked and published directly and indirectly on center-periphery related concepts in parts or whole.

Hope this helps. Pax vobiscvm, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Thanks
Jona Lendering
My website