Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artorius "King Arthur" Maximus
Salvete!

I'm Artorius Maximus, and I'm a new member here. I'm very interested in history, particularly that of classical civilizations such as Greece and Rome, as well as the dark ages and middle ages.

Oh, and you guessed it, I'm a fan of both the Gladiator and King Arthur movies. Smile

- where are you from?

I'm from the United States.

- how'd you become interested in Rome?

Believe it or not... video games. Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, and Rome: Total War were my main source of interest for Rome and history in general.

- why are you here?

I want to be a part of a large history forum dedicated primarily to the Roman-era.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

I'm a senior high school student, will be going to college this fall.

P.S. This subforum is appropriately titled the "Round Table." 8)
King Arthur, High King of the Romano-British, and Restitutor Orbis
Ray
Greetings Maximus

Welcome to the Fourm!

You will find a discussion of films in the Off Topic section and a comparison between Gladiator and Fall Of The Roman Empire going on in the References & Review section. Check them out -- you might find them of interest.

A couple of minor points:

Please add your Real World name to your signature and do check out the thread for New Recruits -- it contains our few simple rules and some helpful hints on how to get the most our of your visits to the Forum.

I think you will quickly discover that this site is frequented by many generous scholars who are happy to share the fruits of their labors with those are are truly interested.

Once again Welcome to the Forum!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Greetings Artorius Maximus!

May I be the first to welcome you to our humble forum and also the first to ask you to put your real name on your signature (forums rules).

I also notice you have a Rome Total War avatar. Have you ever happened to play the mod Rome Total Realism?

Yuri

EDIT: OK, David got here first and basically negated my entire post Big Grin The question still stands though lol
Quote:Please add your Real World name to your signature and do check out the thread for New Recruits -- it contains our few simple rules and some helpful hints on how to get the most our of your visits to the Forum.

I'm sorry, but I'm uncomfortable with this rule. I never did show my real name online. Will I be banned if I don't show my real name? Isn't my username enough information to identify who I am?

Again, I'm sorry, I'm just uncomfortable with that rule.

Quote:I also notice you have a Rome Total War avatar. Have you ever happened to play the mod Rome Total Realism?

Yes, I've played Rome: Total Realism before, but in my experience, I like Europa Barbarorum better. Both are good Rome: Total War mods though.

P.S. I plan to major in history and classics when I get to college next year.
Ray
Not at all Marcus -- I just typed a little faster

This just happens to be one of those rare evenings when I'm up late at the computer. However the train whistle blows oh so early in the morning so I'm off to bed and leave you to your work sir. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Not at all Marcus -- I just typed a little faster

This just happens to be one of those rare evenings when I'm up late at the computer. However the train whistle blows oh so early in the morning so I'm off to bed and leave you to your work sir. :wink:

Narukami

Haha you're telling me - its 5:55AM here and im going nowhere lol :wink:

Quote:I also notice you have a Rome Total War avatar. Have you ever happened to play the mod Rome Total Realism?

Yes, I've played Rome: Total Realism before, but in my experience, I like Europa Barbarorum better. Both are good Rome: Total War mods though.

P.S. I plan to major in history and classics when I get to college next year.[/quote]

lol I asked you almost the same question in the Games subforum. I spend an unhealthy ammount of time myself in the classics department of my uni lol. Where do you intendo to go to college at?
Quote:lol I asked you almost the same question in the Games subforum. I spend an unhealthy ammount of time myself in the classics department of my uni lol. Where do you intendo to go to college at?

Not exactly sure which university, but I'll be attending a local community college first. I'm thinking about one of the colleges in Southern California, USC or UCLA to name a couple.

P.S. I think the history classes will be an easy A for me, as I'm already quite knowledgable in history.
Ray
Quote:
Quote:Please add your Real World name to your signature and do check out the thread for New Recruits -- it contains our few simple rules and some helpful hints on how to get the most our of your visits to the Forum.

I'm sorry, but I'm uncomfortable with this rule. I never did show my real name online. Will I be banned if I don't show my real name? Isn't my username enough information to identify who I am?

Maximus,

I understand your reluctance -- there are two courses of action you might consider:
1. As Jasper suggests in his Welcome post, if you are concerned then using just your First Name will suffice.
2. If you have a legitimate security concern then send Jasper a PM outlining your reasons -- you will find that Jasper is a most benevolent Caesar. Well...most of the time... :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Artorius Maximus:1afo471j Wrote:

Maximus,

I understand your reluctance -- there are two courses of action you might consider:
1. As Jasper suggests in his Welcome post, if you are concerned then using just your First Name will suffice.
2. If you have a legitimate security concern then send Jasper a PM outlining your reasons -- you will find that Jasper is a most benevolent Caesar. Well...most of the time... :wink:

Narukami

Alright, Ray... Hopefully, this is as far as I have to go with personal information. No offense, this is a nice forum. I'm just paranoid. I don't even go on Myspace for goodness' sake. :oops:

P.S. I just noticed that there is a "Recruitment Thread" for new members. I should have posted there first, but oh well. Sorry for the thread.
Ray
Alright, Ray... Hopefully, this is as far as I have to go with personal information. No offense, this is a nice forum. I'm just paranoid. I don't even go on Myspace for goodness' sake.

P.S. I just noticed that there is a "Recruitment Thread" for new members. I should have posted there first, but oh well. Sorry for the thread.

Ray will do and no apology necessary. It may take you a couple of visits but in no time this site will become quite familiar and easy to navigate.

You will also find that we have several members who are university professors, published authors and illustrators and avid students of many historical periods. With any luck this site will prove to be a useful resource to you in your university studies.

Both UCLA and USC are fine schools -- best of luck to you.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thank you! I have a feeling history and humanities courses will be easiest for me. I'm not a very mathematical person unfortunately...
Ray
Quote:Thank you! I have a feeling history and humanities courses will be easiest for me. I'm not a very mathematical person unfortunately...

Hehe, the same applies to me. Im an IR student (International Relations for the lay people lol) and almost did military history were it not for the fact they usually end up at lecturers themselves (not too fond of teaching sadly)...

I was under the wrong impression you were in Britain. And I second David, UCLA is pretty darn good...