Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grinding a Sword Blade How To?
Nihonivs the Pompeii blade is the easiest to do and will help you understand how a grinder works the straight edge gives you a guide which will be easier to follow. The curves of a Mainz the blade geometry from apex to edge changes down the blade and the trick is to keep the blade flowing and look flat all its entire length.
[Image: hj.jpg]
This is a apex blade it has a high centre then the blade is flat from this point right up to the cutting edge.
[Image: fvllvm008.jpg]
I hope this is a better view of this Big Grin
The leaf patten has a gentle curve from cutting edge to cutting edge.
[Image: medical014.jpg]
The one on the left is the leaf profile I hope this shows Big Grin
The trick is to have a centre line drawen down the blade for both profiles and dont grind over the line , work up to it then gentley blend it in to the rest of the blade.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Alrighty, thanks Brennivs! It looks like I'm an apex type of guy, so I follow your second set of instructions more I believe. I still have a couple of things I need clarified however.

You say in your instructions "Along the edge of the blade it might be worth drawing a line along its length aprox 7mm in from the edge to the point as a guide I just do this by eye. again when you start grinding you do not go beyond this." My thing is that I'm not sure where this line is that you are talking about. I dont see any line along the blade edge where you dont grind. I cant see why you would want an unground ridge running along the edge of the blade. I wonder if this is what you were meaning below...

[Image: P6060135.jpg]

If this isnt what you mean by going 7 mm from an edge, I'd like to get a better understanding of what you mean there. Alsoif that isnt waht is meant, how far on each side of the center line should be left unground?

You later also say "now the cutting edge if you can it might be worth drawing a line just over 2mm wide this will help you guage how far to grind down too." I'm unclear on where you are wanting this line drawn and what done with it.
Is the picture below showing what you mean? The red line being where to place your line on the metal and to grind down to.

[Image: P6060127.jpg]

The last thing you say that I'm confused on is, "Keep grinding down until you are near the 1mm mark this will be your fail safe edge,for finnishing, I hope you can follow this :lol: " What 1mm mark is this? I dont remember any past reference to a 1mm mark, only the 7mm mark and 2mm mark I'm confused on.

My theories shown in the pictures may be completely wrong, I dont know. Please tell if I'm wrong though. Sorry if I seem a bit dense, I just want to get this right and be sure so I dont mess up and waste time and money on supplies.

Thanks again.

-Nihonivs
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
In the first picture the place you have put the 7mm is actually were I have ground the edge.

Now the line you dont grind over is the centre line in black.

The last picture you posted is right 2mm ( remember in this pic both sides have been ground down to this 2mm point ) then you can start to grind the flat part of the blade.
As you will see in the next pics Big Grin  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
These pics will show you the grind stage profiles Big Grin
[Image: swd2.jpg]
This is what you will have after the edges have been ground Big Grin
[Image: swd3.jpg]
Now you will start to flattern the blade down from the 2mm to the centre and when you get close to the centre line this is what I ment not to grind over this line Big Grin
[Image: swd4.jpg]
The final stage will be to grind down while keeping the blade profile flat and take the cutting edge down to 1mm, again you could draw a 1mm line and grind down to this. What you end up with is a 1mm thick edge and the marked centre line still showing from there you can start to polish the blade as you should have plenty of metal left on the blade to do this Big Grin
I hope this is ok and you can see what I mean Big Grin D
Otherwise keep it coming and good luck with your blade Big Grin
Sorry for poor quality pics :lol: :lol: Sad
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
So just gring the edges of the blade 7mm inward, then grind down from the center line all the way to the edge until you have a smooth slant, then bring the edge to 1mm thick. After all this polish the blade up and it is done. Correct?
I guess I do have one more question (sorry), how far in should I bring the 1mm edge into the blade? And would I still use a grinder on this, or something more delicate so I dont grind away unevenly or too much material?
Thanks for the drawings, hopefully I get this now. Let me know is this is all right.

-Nihonivs :mrgreen:

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
It's looking good so far Jared.

Legion: TBD
Meaning it sounds like I understand now? Great! If I am right, I cant wait to get to work!

Carpe Dium
Yes thats right when you have ground the blade to this stage, time too use less abrasive methods.
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22730&p=202761#p202761">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22730&p=202761#p202761<!-- l
If you look at the post from this point I have showen the gear and method for flatterning and polishing the blade Big Grin
If you have a belt sander this will do but be careful or as you are useing mild steel draw file each of the facets to take of the high spots and smooth the blade out Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
And what about how far I should bring the 1mm edge into the blade? And what is a facet?

Carpe Dium
The 1mm edge is the thickness of the blade you have left from grinding and this is what you have to play with on the blade to polish with ( you could make it thicker up to 2mm if you want more metal for flaterning the blade down )This is the cutting edge so if you want it sharp you take the metal down further. So you can take this down as fine as you like. The facet is basically the flat part ot the blade looking at it staight on, in the pic Big Grin
[Image: swd45.jpg]
I hope this explains this Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Tony,

On your Pompeii blade, did you use 1/4" (~6.5 mm) thick by 2" (~5.1 cm) wide mild steel stock?

Thanks,
Joe
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Redguru it was aprox 1/4" (4-5mm) thick but the blade is about 1" 3/4 wide (45mm) and was made from mild steel Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Where do you get your steel? Did I miss it somewhere? Big Grin
Kingolaf check your PM box Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Since Photorubbish has made some threads defunct by demanding money and ransoming you pictures you have posted to help others, I am slowly replacing them to keep the thread alive and to keep helping people  Smile I rely on photos for my threads which tell a thousand words. So this is the first big one I am doing, I am still looking for some pics I used but I hope to bring this thread back alive as it seams popular  Wink
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Iron Sword Grinding Bryan 1 986 04-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Grinding wheat with stone handmill? pavka 9 3,282 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Last Post: pavka
  sword blade started/FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 108 25,789 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake