Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polybius as a military historian
What do the members of forum think about Polybius as a military historian? Was he so competent and objective as most researchers wrote? Is there any proper definition of the term "mlitary historian"?
Dear friend welcome.
Please add your name to your signature. (Forum rule)

No man can be 100% objective.
Polybious having held the office of general for the achaic league at least known what he is talking about. But always keep in mind that he wrote for his Roman patron and that might have been restrictive.

I wrote an article on the "Ancient warfare" magazine explaining that there was to more to Polyvious analysis of phalanx vs legion than the man himself wrote about.

Kind regards
More competent than objective.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Can you send me your article about the comparison of legion and phalanx? Do you have any other articles concerning the theme "Polybius as a military historian"? What is the difference between Polybius and other ancient greek military historians - for example, Xenophon? My name is Eugene.
Sent me a P.M. with an email address Eugene.

Also go toy your profile and add your name to the signature.

Kind regards
I find Polybios not only competent but also highly reliable on the Greek wars, but much less so in others theaters/wars
AKA Inaki

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polybius as a naval historian. eugene 3 1,685 01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Lucius Rabirius
  term military historian teg 4 2,163 07-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius