Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Mythology...? Clash of the Titans -- the Remake
I do not know how I missed this, and doing a search of the Forum is seems to have flown in below the radar:

[size=150:39k2vd3i]Warner Bros to remake Clash of the Titans-New ideas? We've heard of 'em[/size]
By Lester Haines → More by this author
Published Friday 14th December 2007 12:03 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further evidence, were it needed, that Hollywood is increasingly incapable, or unwilling, to invest in original material comes with the announcement that Warner Bros is to remake 1981 adventure Clash of the Titans.

According to Variety, Steve Norrington will take the helm in his first directorial role since League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in 2003. Rather more promisingly, Lawrence Kasdan has reworked a Travis Beacham screenplay for the movie. Kasdan, Star Wars fans will recall, performed a similar service on The Empire Strikes Back, with favourable results.

Production on Clash of the Titans will begin next year. The film joins a growing list of confirmed Tinsel Town rehashes, including Barbarella, Enter the Dragon and, chillingly, The Long Good Friday. ®

I'm not that big a fan of the original (my daughters not withstanding) but a remake? :? roll:

The original cost about $15 million (+marketing etc) and pulled in about $41 million box office (+video, TV, toys etc. -- we had a toy of the Kraken, but left him behind in Hawai'i to act as the garden kami.)

Yes, the good news here is Kasdan is the writer, but beyond that I have my doubts. (Kasdan is now working on a big screen adaptation of the classic Anime Robotech.) There is no news on cast, yet, but they are slated to begin production this year for a 2010 release so we should hear more about this film very soon.

Oh, and if this thread is better suited in Off Topic then please do move it and with all haste! :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
well, if a rewrite includes gladiators, and the missing legion.....
I am moving it to off topic anyway... :lol:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Its added to a long list of movies that beg the question "Why exactly are they making a remake?"

Seriously, it was a classic and if they want to make another Perseus movie I'm definately not against it just not another Clash of the Titans. Enter the Dragon without Bruce Lee is just wrong. Unless they find a necromancer and make Enter the Dragon zombie edition they will not get my ticket.
Derek D. Estabrook
I loved that movie...to be honest. I know Hollywood isn't much for risks anymore, but it could be good for us and our hobby.

Robotech eh? Loved that series...I'd go see that in the cinema too!

Legion: TBD
Hmm i had heard vague rumours about this,still dont know...still too obsessed about the new Batman.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
It amazes me that Ray Harryhausens techniques still look better than the vast majority of CGI in movies today.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Speaking of Ray Harryhausen...

http://www.iesb.net/warnerbros2006/050506.php

After receiving his award the IESB was able to speak briefly to Mr. Harryhausen and ask about his thoughts on the ever so trendy but yet so unimaginative remakes that Hollywood is so bent on turning out as fast as I can say Klaatu, Barada, Nikto.

With the recent announcement that Clash of the Titans will be remade by Warner Bros and the hiring of newcomer scribe Travis Beacham we needed to get Mr. Harryhausen's thoughts on the matter.

When asked about the remake it was quite obvious to us that he was not too happy and even somewhat hurt. He asked why would anybody want to remake a classic and that you can never make a better film than the original. We here at the IESB would have to agree, Harry Hamlin was the bomb.not really. Okay so Harry's skirt was a little skimpy but the movie will always be a classic.

I have a question for all the studios in Hollywood.why remakes? Isn't there enough original material in development? Are there not enough great scripts collecting dust on your shelves? I'm pretty sure there are and all that is lacking is an executive with some "cojones" that will start being original.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Remakes can equal and sometimes surpass the original, though it doesn't happen often. The Korda "Thief of Baghdad" was a remake, as were Ford's "The Maltese Falcon" and Mann's "The Last of the Mohicans," so let's not despair just yet.
Pecunia non olet
But wait...there's more

This in from Hollywood: Clash of the Titans meets The 300

[size=150:1ubzfo9p]Ancient epic "War of Gods" follows "300" path By Steven Zeitchik [/size]
Fri Jun 27, 4:58 AM ET

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - The producers of "300" are taking another trip to an epic battlefield.

Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton will produce "War of Gods," a story with a similar scope and tone to the last year's ancient saga, which earned more than $450 million worldwide.

"War of Gods" concerns the battles waged by Theseus, a warrior from Greek mythology, who leads a fight against the imprisoned titans.

Among the hooks is that, unlike some mythological tales, gods fight alongside mortals. That moves the film into a different historical time than "300" -- which concerned the battles of King Leonidas against the Persians -- but ensures a similar vibe and young-male demo. It will be shot by music videos veteran Tarsem, who directed Jennifer Lopez in "The Cell."

A number of studios were interested in the project since it went out about a week ago, but independent financier Relativity Media won the rights after offering a mid-six-figure advance and committing to make the movie quickly. Principal photography is set for as early as the first quarter of 2009.

Warner Bros., which distributed "300," was interested in "Gods" and at one point considered buying the project and using the script in place of the one it had for its planned remake of "Clash of the Titans." In the end it opted to stick to its original plan, and recently attached "Incredible Hulk" director Louis Leterrier. "Titans" is scheduled for a 2010 release.

The Gods look down and laugh...

Confusedhock: :? roll: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=23062

From our very own Newsbot.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Perhaps we should combine threads...

Link to article on Sequel to "300"

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=23048

I would say that it could be a good year for ancient films in the near future, what with all of these and talk of a sequel to Gladiator, a Rome feature or third season, Polanski's Imperium, but that's just me being optimistic. As with most things out of Hollywood it is a mixed bag to be sure. However, we just might get lucky with at least one of these... :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Perhaps we should combine threads...

Link to article on Sequel to "300"

Narukami

I tossed a coin, but as I don't like the 300 film, I was biased anyway... :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
From our Newsbot

Interview with Director of the re-make

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=23268

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Interesting how often he mentions Star Wars...

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I was happy to see a movie based on the Battle of Thermopylae, but when I actually saw it, it was disappointing. I hate it when Hollywood goes over the top and throws historical accuracy out the window. I own the DVD of "The 300 Spartans" which was a much better film. A remake of Clash of the Titans just follows Hollywood's current trend of remakes. Journey to the Center of the Earth is out in theaters right now. Then there is The Day the Earth Stood Still starring Keanu Reeves of all people. They remade Halloween last year. King Kong the year before. The list is endless. I guess Hollywood execs feel why invest in new and untried stuff when the numbskull public will keep buying into rehashed ideas.

Doug "Suetonius Attius Hispanicus"
Hollwood likes nothing more than a success -- Box Office if not critical and thus are we showered with "Ancient Themed Films" thanks to the 300.

Raincoat anyone?

:roll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081106/fil ... SxithxFb8C

[size=150:3a2pmefi]An epic struggle of ancients in Hollywood[/size]

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Rival ancient epics "War of the Gods" and "Clash of the Titans" are close to casting their respective lead actors.

Henry Cavill ("Stardust") is set to star in "War of the Gods" for Relativity Media, and Sam Worthington ("Terminator Salvation") is in negotiations with Warner Bros. to climb aboard "Clash of the Titans."

In addition, the projects have set their start dates. "Gods" is tentatively planned for a February shoot, while production is slated to begin on "Titans" in April.

The budget for "Gods" is expected to be about $85 million, while "Titans" is budgeted in the $70 million range.

The studios have been in a fierce battle to get their movie to market first, echoing the scramble between competing studio projects "Troy" and "Alexander" in 2004.

"Gods," a story of kings and warriors in ancient Greece, will be produced by Mark Canton and Gianni Nunnari, the team behind "300," and directed by Tarsem Singh ("The Cell").

"Titans," which was actually set up first, focuses on similar themes and characters: the mythological Perseus and his battle to save a princess from villains including Medusa. It will be directed by Louis Leterrier ("The Incredible Hulk").

The success of Warners' "300" in 2007 set off a scramble to create another midbudget myth-focused movie -- with younger and less-pricey stars.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \"Ben-Hur\" remake emilio 1 1,299 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  I Claudius remake mcbishop 12 3,422 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Sequel Of The Titans -- The Latest News Narukami 1 879 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM