Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT conference MAINZ 2008
Quote:FRIDAY AFTERNOON
Welcome of the people; with those who are early, visit to Wiesbaden or something similar
Dinner

SATURDAY
Lectures (Svenja, Robert Wimmers, Jona...)
Lunch
Lectures or Gutenberg Museum
Temple of Isis and Cybele (closed on Sunday)
Dinner

SUNDAY
Museum of the Roman Ships
Theater and Drususstein
Roemisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum (Miks?)
Museum Castellum; Arch of Germanicus (both only open on Sunday)

We hope that the "Steinhalle" in the Landesmuseum can be visited as well.

I have a suggestion to make: Since the Gutenberg Museum is nothing Roman (though History of Printing is also an interesting subject) I rather prefer to go to Wiesbaden on Saturday (so to say switch Gutenberg and Wiesbaden). I hope the Ancient section reopened though because last year it was closed because they wanted to built a new place for it.

I guess the Steinhalle (Roman section) at the Landesmuseum in Mainz is still closed but will check when I'm back from vacation.
We might also add the museum at Bad-Kreuznach, which has the famous tombstones of Pantera and Annaius Daverzus.
I was in Mainz in July at the Steinhalle was indeed still closed, supposed to reopen in 2010.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Bad Kreuznach is a good idea! There's a gladiatorial mosaic as well :lol: Hope we could do this either on Saturday (preferrred) or Sunday early afternoon.
I think we must first see how many lectures there will be; there are five or six right now. I think a visit to the Isis temple is not really necessary, so we can switch elements of the program, and of course the Gutenberg Museum was always just an option. Personally, I would be for a visit to another town.

However, we must take into account that visits to other locations cost money, and many participants are students from Flanders. If they come by car, an additional 50 km will probably not be problematic, but I think we must be careful not to raise the budget unnecessarily.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I agree with Jona! Mainz has so much to offer, it would be a shame to waste a lot of time traveling all over. Best to have a good compact programm around the city rather then to try to stuff to much stuff into it.
Ahhh, am I doing a lecture? Will have to consider that, as the progress on the themepark is non-existent. I could go into the "art" making archeology accesable to the larger public by reconstruction and re-enactment, placing Xanten opposite of our park (I love Xanten, by the way!)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Bad Kreuznach is fairly nearby (about 40k), but, indeed, we don't have to.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
The Limes museum in the castellum Saalburg would be nice to visit, if only because they were building a great new addition when I was last there last year. Is that finished and open yet? And they have great reconstructions on display of many different types of objects, including loads of shoes. So, I am OK with going there and driving four people, but lets leave it at that?
I could also discuss both Saalburg and Xanten versus a themepark, as both have the same basic "faults" to the park. Having gone there would illustrate the point?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:The Limes museum in the castellum Saalburg would be nice to visit, if only because they were building a great new addition when I was last there last year. Is that finished and open yet? And they have great reconstructions on display of many different types of objects, including loads of shoes. So, I am OK with going there and driving four people, but lets leave it at that?
I could also discuss both Saalburg and Xanten versus a themepark, as both have the same basic "faults" to the park. Having gone there would illustrate the point?

This lecture sounds very interesting to me, as I'm a re-enactor and in stichting Romeinenfestival and such, but is it really interested to the main theme, namely roman (military) history. I don't know how many non re-enactors will be there, but it seems to me that this is more a talk for people working with public in a park (or even staff members of events and museums). But, it's fine by me, I think I can learn a lot from your knowledge on this matter.

Not going that far away on sunday afternoon seems best for me, so we don't get an earlie split like last year, when over half the people didn't join the trip on sunday afternoon.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Ahhh, am I doing a lecture? Will have to consider that, as the progress on the themepark is non-existent. I could go into the "art" making archeology accesable to the larger public by reconstruction and re-enactment, placing Xanten opposite of our park (I love Xanten, by the way!)
Actually, it was a bit of a joke "to appoint you as volunteer" (Dutch army joke, probably also applicable to other armies). However, I think your story might be quite interesting, as it is something we never hear about. It's up to you. The most important thing is that you will have fun in Mainz.
Jona Lendering
My website
Robert, such a lecture would indeed be very interesting I believe!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
If we drop the Gutenberg, we could do Limes museum and temple in one drive and then go back for dinner? Two hours is enough for the Saalburg, it's not that big.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
haven't been online for some time but i'll tranrsfer the monet asap.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
If you want to go to the Saalburg I could check with them if they have a special guided tour for us because I'm member of the Saalburg foundation. I don't have any idea at the moment if they are open at all at that time of the year but will check when I'm back home from vacation.
Quote:If you want to go to the Saalburg I could check with them if they have a special guided tour for us because I'm member of the Saalburg foundation.
I think they are open; I have been there, standing in the snow until my waste - so it's open even in winter.
[Image: saalburg_01.jpg]
Jona Lendering
My website
That would be nice, I would very much like to be able to photograph some of their reconstructed shoes and some of the metal finds like the arrowheads and spearheads.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers