Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favorite Roman Latin Quotes Maxims Mottos Sayings ?
Hello
I havn't read all but i just love the plain and simple............Salve
Kevin
Kevin
Nulla consilia meliora sunt nisi illa quae ignoraverit adversarius antequam facias

The plans are best of which the enemy are ignorant until the moment of execution

and

Amplius prodest locus saepe quam virtus.

Ground often of more importance than valour.

Vegetius 3:26:5 and 11 (John Clark's translation)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Two from renaissance Italy:

Aut Caesar Aut Nihil ('Either Caesar or Nothing' - supposedly the motto of the overly-ambitious Cesare Borgia!)

Nec Spe Nec Metu ('Without Hope, Without Fear' - motto of the painter Caravaggio)

And two suitably aggressive ones used by Scots regiments in the British army:

En Ferus Hostis ('Behold a Fierce Enemy')

Nemo me Impune Lacessit ('No one insults me with impunity')
Nathan Ross
Non illegitimi carborundum :-P
Caesar audieritis hoc
Dum spiro spero.
While I breathe, I hope.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Ecce. In pictura est puella nomine Cornelia. This was the first Latin I ever saw. "Ecce Romani" Book I, Scottish classics Group, 1st edition 1971.
Ditto! High drama when Davus escaped and was recaptured. Then the raeda got stuck in a fossa. Fantastic stuff. And pictures by Peter Dennis, believe it or not!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
This is what the Google Translater gave me for my favorite saying, Life is too short for bull shit..... Vita est brevis taurus stercus
Caesar audieritis hoc
Or one I made up recently, Knowledge without wisdom is a child with a gun...Scientia sine sapientia puer fistulae
Caesar audieritis hoc
When I was in the military many years ago we made one up that goes. "Nil Bastum Carborundum" translated Don't let the B#.>*~ds grind you down.
Brian Stobbs
non posuit Descartes ante equum
Caesar audieritis hoc
"Cui Bono?"

which, if I recall aright, is roughly, "Who benefits?" Call me a cynic, but that one has been so very useful in my life. When something happens and you're not sure why, look to see who gained from it...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Roman Text/Roman Author/Poet Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 12 3,311 04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Primitivus
  Favorite Roman fiction richsc 21 5,693 10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Anonymous