Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indispensable Ancient Civilian Booklist
Thanks! :roll:
This must have been an awful lot of work...
---------------
All the best,
Frank.
C.B.F. Walker: Cunieform: Reading the Past (Univ of CA Press 1987)

Harriet Crawford: Sumer and the Sumerians (Cambridge Univ Press 1991)

Dominique Collon: Near Eastern Seals: Interpreting the Past (Univ of CA Press 1990)

Paul MacKendrick: The Greek Stones Speak: The Story of Archaeology in Greek Lands (WW Norton & Co 1979) A bit dated but still informative.

Reviel Netz & William Noel: The Archimedes Codex (Da Capo Press 2007)

Yigael Yadin: Bar-Kokhba (Random House 1971)

H.R. Ellis Davidson: Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions (Syracuse Univ Press 1988)
Michael Paglia
A book I received today:

Dr Susan Stewart- Cosmetics and Perfumes in the Roman World- (Tempus 2007)

I only got the book 2 hours ago and already it has filled a lot of blanks and given me some fantastic guidance regarding my current work. This book is beautifully written and well researched. The author has gone to great lengths to describe the cosmetics and oils in great detail, and there is constant valuable cross reference to ancient text- which has saved me an awful lot of trawling through all of Ovid's work :wink:

- although I have also picked out a couple of errors regarding the chemical composition of a few listed mineral pigments- oops! :?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
F. W. Walbank, A. E. Astin, M. W. Frederiksen, R. M. Ogilvie and A. Drummond - The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. 7, part 2.
The Rise of Rome to 220 B.C. (1989)
J. A. Crook, Andrew Lintott and Elizabeth Rawson - The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. 9, The Last Age of the Roman Republic, 146–43 b.c. (1992)
Alan K. Bowman, Edward Champlin and Andrew Lintott - The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. 10, The Augustan Empire, 43 B.C–A.D. 69 (1996)
Alan K. Bowman, Peter Garnsey and Dominic Rathbone - The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. 11, The High Empire, A.D. 70–192 (2000)
Alan K. Bowman, Peter Garnsey and Averil Cameron - The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. 12, The Crisis of Empire, A.D. 193–337 (2005)
Averil Cameron and Peter Garnsey - The Cambridge Ancient History Vol. 13, The Late Empire, A.D. 337–425 (1998)
- great for Roman political and economical history
Not see anything on Magic in the Ancient World yet, here be my contributions to this area:

Burriss, E.E. 1974. Taboo, Magic, Spirits: A Study of the Primitive Elements in Roman Religion. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press

Graf, F. 1999. Magic in the Ancient World (Trans. Philip, F.). Cambridge, Massachusetts, and London, England: Harvard University Press

Janowitz, N. 2001. Magic in the Roman World: Pagans, Jews and Christians. London and New York: Routledge

Johns, C. 1982. Sex or Symbol: Erotic Images of Greece and Rome, London: British Museum Publications

Luck, G. 1985. Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds. Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press

Luck, G. 2000. Ancient Pathways and Hidden Pursuits: Religion, morals and magic in the Ancient World. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press

Ogden, D. 2002. Magic, Witchcraft, and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Sourcebook. Oxford: Oxford University Press

Thomassen, E. 1999. Is magic a subclass of ritual?. in Jordan, D.R., Montgomery, H. and Thomassen, E. (Eds) The World of Ancient Magic: Papers from the First International Eitrem Seminar at the Norwegian Institute at Athens 4-8 May 1997. Bergen: The Norwegian Institute at Athens. 55-66

Tomlin, R.S.O. 2010. Cursing a thief in Iberia and Britain. in Gordon, R.L. and Marco Simón, F. (Eds.), Magical Practice in the Latin West: Papers from the International Conference held at the University of Zaragoza 30 Sept – 1 Oct. 2005. Leiden and Boston: Brill. 245-273

Versnel, H.S. 1991. Some reflections on the relationship magic-religion. Numen 38.2: 177-195

Versnel, H.S. 2010. Prayers for justice East and West: New finds and publications since 1990. In Gordon, R.L. and Marco Simón, F. (Eds.), Magical Practice in the Latin West: Papers from the International Conference held at the University of Zaragoza 30 Sept – 1 Oct. 2005. Leiden and Boston: Brill. 275-354
VOTUM SOLVIT LIBENS MERITO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MOGONS
Adam Parker

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your ancient civilian impression agrimensor 33 41,610 08-20-2016, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Ludens
  >[Indispensable Ancient Civilian Booklist v. II]< Restitvtvs 1 3,036 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Restitvtvs