Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batman as Robin...? Scott Takes New Robin For A Twist.
This may be old news but some members of the Forum might find it of interest.

(I did not see an earlier thread on this topic but if I missed one please redirect this to that. Now that was an abuse of the Roman tongue! :oops: )

[size=150:hyjrx0uh]Christian Bale's Robin role[/size]

Christian Bale is set to star in the new Robin Hood film.

Director Ridley Scott has expressed a keen interest to get 'The Dark Knight' actor signed up for his upcoming epic 'Nottingham'.

The film is set to be a twist on the classic tale.

The traditionally heroic Robin will be portrayed as a villainous thief while Russell Crowe - who teamed up with Ridley for 'Gladiator' in 2000 - will play a more honourable Sheriff of Nottingham.

'The Edge of Love' actress Sienna Miller has confirmed she will be playing Maid Marion - which she says is "as good as it gets" - while Vanessa Redgrave, William Hurt and Saoirse Ronan are also in talks to star.

As well as being instrumental in revamping the Batman franchise, Bale has also signed up to three new 'Terminator' films.

Shooting on 'Nottingham' is set to begin later this summer with a November 2009 release planned.

At least Ridley is not touting the films "historical accuracy." Well, at least not yet...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
how many Robin Hood movies actually is that by now! :? D

Quote:The traditionally heroic Robin will be portrayed as a villainous thief while Russell Crowe
... well then it seems, they'll depict him the way he most probably was. :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
Quote:The traditionally heroic Robin will be portrayed as a villainous thief while Russell Crowe

There does seem to be a trend to make scruffy thugs into populist heros through the charm school of the silver screen. Witness "Billy The Kid" and many of the 40s-60s "gangster" movies.

The thing is, Scott did The Duellists which is excellent and does not have flagrant inaccuracies that attempt to be passed off as historically accurate. The Duellists proves Hollywood can make decent flicks when it wants to. Which, in a way, may make things worse when you think about it.

However, I would not give in to despair that there will be any really accurate endeavor, though. One of the groups that everyone loves to hate is the Normans, even though they had esthetically pleasing armor and had a number of things going for them. Also, whatever the Socially Correct cause of November 2009 is, it will surely be given adequate mention, never mind that it was probably never heard of before the beginning of the 21st Century.

R. Izard
That might be an interesting take....and Bale is a great actor.

Legion: TBD
I haven't heard of this project before! I'm looking forward to it now .. Bale and Crowe are a good combination. Plus I'm very much into the whole Robin Hood Legend ... i have both DVD sets of the series "Robin of Sherwood" from the 1980's. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
If you want to see how well Bale and Crowe work together, I can't recommend 3:10 To Yuma highly enough.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:If you want to see how well Bale and Crowe work together, I can't recommend 3:10 To Yuma highly enough.

I totally agree with you here,great movie to say the least!!!Not so sure about a few more Terminator movies.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
he's been touted as the older John Connor for a while now.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:If you want to see how well Bale and Crowe work together, I can't recommend 3:10 To Yuma highly enough.

yep, it's fantastic. and to stay in the neo-western genre everybody watch THE PROPOSITION.
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Speaking of poorly written scripts (reference the thread in Reviews about the new Hadrian film)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2008072 ... 8kksgwFxkF

Russell Crowe's Robin Hood Redo Washed Out by Rain, Strike Fears, Lousy Script
Josh Grossberg Mon Jul 28, 6:05 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott's Robin Hood remake is unwelcome in Sherwood—at least based on the way things are going.

Production on the upcoming Nottingham, directed by Scott and starring Crowe as the Sheriff of Nottingham and Sienna Miller as Maid Marian, has been delayed indefinitely, according to distributor Universal Pictures.

A revisionist take on the legend told from the villain's point of view, the film was supposed to start shooting in mid-August. But producers put Nottingham on hold due to all sorts of logitical issues, ranging from the typically cruddy British weather to concerns with the script to fears over a potential actor's strike.

"Universal could have moved forward with one of these challenges but the confluence of the three caused the studio to reconsider and take the time for all conditions to be optimal," is how the studio spins it in a statement Monday.

According to Universal, the script by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris was being reworked by veteran scribe Brian Helgeland (L.A. Confidential) and "is not yet where the studio and the filmmakers want it to be in terms of realizing the full value of the story."

Crowe was set to play a sympathetic sheriff who ends up in a love triangle with Miller's character and the notorious bandit Robin Hood. Hood and his Merry Men steal steal from the rich, give to the poor and generally create all kinds of anarchy.

With the production currently scotched, it's unlikely cameras would roll until next spring at the earliest.

And that means chances are Nottingham, which was originally supposed to hit theaters Nov. 6, 2009, will not unspool in 2010.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Crowe was set to play a sympathetic sheriff who ends up in a love triangle with Miller's character and the notorious bandit Robin Hood. Hood and his Merry Men steal steal from the rich, give to the poor and generally create all kinds of anarchy.
this what I call an entirely new and innovative story :roll: :lol:
Quote:
What do we know about the "historical" Robin Hood? I thought there were just some ballads, or am I mistaken?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
apart from the possibility of robin hood being a mythos, there are some clues he might have been real.

I saw a German documentary some time back, where some English rolls of justice from the 13th century were presented that contained the name Robert Hod (or something similiar). This guy was outlawed for not having paid a debt, and in later rolls he is remarked as Robber Hod. Again later his name disappeared from these rolls, which were renewed annually, IIRC.
On the other hand there seem to be more than one references to different men with similiar names. :?

A case for the Ctesias scale, Jona? Smile
Quote:A case for the Ctesias scale, Jona? Smile
:lol:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
My group have been approached as extras, only found out this week it was meant to be for this film. My husband would be one but he has a pesky thing called a job.

Fingers crossed it does get made cos I'd love spotting people I know in a film Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal twist to removed antiquities Epictetus 5 1,509 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Peppermint twist! Virilis 0 841 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  This takes dumb to a new level... ParthianBow 4 1,393 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius