Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Achillies Sandals
Does anybody have a picture of a reconstructed sandal as worn by Achillies in the picture here http://faculty.mc.yu.edu/matto/images/achilles.jpg

Or can you tell me if they are thin straps around his heel or one thick piece of leather?
Let your warriors be your shield, and your horse be your saviour, for I will live to see another fight another day.
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=21178
Check the above thread. It soesn't answer your question,but it'll add some info.
It's certainly thin straps and as far as i know no one has reconstructed it yet.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Ive done a mock up in cardboard. Some of the straps obviously need to be thiner as depicted in the image.

[Image: P7190307_edited.jpg]

The two straps Im holding I think I may have them running down to the toe strap and knotted. At the ankle a leather washer like piece (small piece with a slit) that loosens and tightens the straps to get on and off.

[Image: P7190308_edited.jpg]

This site may also be of help with design and construction.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisand ... andals.htm
Let your warriors be your shield, and your horse be your saviour, for I will live to see another fight another day.
Interesting,but i had thought of it differently. The straps that will be tied in the front would be the continuation of the straps in the middle of the foot,which would grab the back straps that would inevitably produce this angle under the ankle. I hoe this makes some sense. Also,I don't think there should be anything between the toes. There is no indication of such a piece and u think the straps should be tied in the place you hold them. But this is my interpretation.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Definitely thin straps, not a solid piece, from the appearance - also,I have a reproduction of this piece, and the artist interprets the heel as thin straps rather than solid piece...
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Giannis, makes perfect sense. On the image the large black lumpy bit over the big toe to me seems like a sort of thing that may go between the big toe?
Paullus, do you have pictures of your reconstruction?

Do you think the sole would be two pieces of leather, and if so how joined? stitching or nailed?
[Image: P7200307_edited.jpg]

The back heel straps will be this same leather chord. The ones going up the ankle appear to be a wider leather.
To fasten I am thinking of a leather washer that can be lowered to the toes to get on and off, and drawn up the leather chords towards the ankle, held with tension to keep on, avoiding any knots.