Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
"Z" for the ...nth time one of the best movies ever.
And right after that "Mama mia" :oops: the burdens of maried life....
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Continuing our review of In Bruges,
Quote:
Jona Lendering:c1wk34ep Wrote:also very funny.
Confusedhock: Yup, I can see there's a difference between Dutch and English humour..... :wink:

I honestly thought it was one of the best tragedies I've ever seen.
I think it's the same as Hamlet. The ending, in which everybody dies and there are four bodies on the stage, is of course unconvincing, so Shakespeare makes the final act begin with the funny scene of the two gravediggers. This brings the audience in a slightly merry mood, and makes the violent end more unexpected, harder, and ultimately convincing.

The In Bruges equivalent of the gravediggers are scenes like the big fat American tourist and lines like "I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't" - they made me smile, and the English people next to me too.

On the other hand, the Amsterdammers in the cinema had to smile at the scene with the tourist who has to pay 5 euro, comes with a lot of small cash, and ultimately pays with a banknote of 50 euro; this was something the English people did not laugh about.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought there were a few laugh-out-loud moments (the same cashier's confrontation with Ralph Fiennes as an example). But what started out as perhaps a little slapstick (Farrell's performance at the start was a bit OTT I thought, but it all became clear why later on) turned into an incredibly compelling story that could go pretty much anywhere. A tragedy of consequences. Brendan Gleeson completely stole the show for me.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Farrell's performance at the start was a bit OTT
Yep.
Jona Lendering
My website
Saw Screamers on Friday night. Was so-so.

Watched WALL-E on Saturday. It was so cute! First half was best though, I want a WALL-E to tidy the house Big Grin

And not a film but finally got to the end of Deadwood Cry It needs a fourth series, can't believe they stopped it there.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Saw Screamers on Friday night. Was so-so.

I actually found it really creapy and entertaining.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
Libitina:2jppbdgm Wrote:Saw Screamers on Friday night. Was so-so.

I actually found it really creapy and entertaining.

I found it so-so Tongue But yes, definitely creepy-potential. Hasn't aged very well with the special effects unfortunately.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Saw Screamers on Friday night. Was so-so.

Watched WALL-E on Saturday. It was so cute! First half was best though, I want a WALL-E to tidy the house Big Grin

And not a film but finally got to the end of Deadwood Cry It needs a fourth series, can't believe they stopped it there.

WALL-E reminds me of that scary robot in the film 'Demon Seed'
[Image: scared0016.gif]

You wouldn't want that robot tidying the house!

I wonder if they've reprogrammed him and removed his naughty chip ? Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:You wouldn't want that robot tidying the house!
Strange. Cleaning the kitchen today, I had the opposite idea. :wink:
Jona Lendering
My website
Mummy 3
not reallY a mummy..
I kept thinking of how ancient battle scenes could be made realistic using modern computer graphics.....
and the female lead is new, not the original.........
but a fun bit of entertainment, none the less.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I find Brandon Fraser's movies tend to just be "fun" movies...which I don't mind.

Legion: TBD
Quote:I find Brandon Fraser's movies tend to just be "fun" movies...which I don't mind.

Speaking of whom, I just saw Journey to the Centre er....sorry Centaur...no center.... or the....Middle of the Earth, Even the film gets confused if you look very, very closely...... or cheat and look up the goofs and trivia on imdb!

That should raise the culture bar, slightly it was beginning to drop Big Grin

G.

PS. I agree with David I prefer the cinema (or theater) release version of Blade Runner. The narration works really well and only jars near the end which is why I suppose some people don't like it.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
DOCTOR STRANGELOVE!!!!
It's almost incredible, but even though it's now almost half a century old, it remains a brilliant movie and a great satire of the Cold War. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."
[Image: 3SellersRoles.jpg]
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Speaking of whom, I just saw Journey to the Centre er....sorry Centaur...no center.... or the....Middle of the Earth, Even the film gets confused if you look very, very closely...... or cheat and look up the goofs and trivia on imdb!

That should raise the culture bar, slightly it was beginning to drop Big Grin

G.

PS. I agree with David I prefer the cinema (or theater) release version of Blade Runner. The narration works really well and only jars near the end which is why I suppose some people don't like it.

Did you see it in 3D Graham? Like Beowulf, it made a ho-hum movie pretty entertaining.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Did you see it in 3D Graham? Like Beowulf, it made a ho-hum movie pretty entertaining.

Yes, I saw both movies in 3D, as you say pretty entertaining!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.