Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Literature on the Praetorian Guard ? (preferably in English)
Quote:
Quote:I recently heard anecdotes about how distinguished authors like Peter Connolly are unable to persuade publishers to publish updated editions of their work. Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War" was written over 25 years ago ! I was barely a year old

In fact this book was re-released in a slightly revised edition by Greenhills only a few years ago.

When it first came out I was just a few years older than you Jaime!

Graham.
Charles and Diana were married for a few months :lol:

But seriously, yes, it seems I have the revised 1998 edition. If the stories I heard are true it wasn't easy to get it published. The color plates at the end are woefully outdated - two of them show third century soldiers wearing caligae and another wearing the older interpretation of the Newstead segmentata. Michael Simkins, I believe, is another author who's had trouble with tight-fisted publishers.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:When it first came out I was just a few years older than you Jaime!
Yes -- me, too. :wink:

* mental note: conceal age on sidebar! *
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:yes, it seems I have the revised 1998 edition

It has been revised since Jaime, in 2006! Still available in the shops in a striking white backed cover with three of Connolly's reconstructed soldiers on it. I saw a copy yesterday in Borders near Chester.

Keeping on topic have any of our Spanish RATers read the book I mentioned earlier?

Graham.

Age wise.... I remember seeing the Fall of the Roman Empire. The film that is not the real event!

That should explain any senior moments I might have!! :wink:
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi all,

There will be a new book on the Praetorian Guard. The author is dr. Sandra Bingham (her thesis can be downloaded - see some messages above).

You can pre-order this new book here.

Greets

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:There will be a new book on the Praetorian Guard. The author is dr. Sandra Bingham (her thesis can be downloaded - see some messages above).

You can pre-order this new book here.

Greets

Hans

Strange how the book hasn't been released yet. :? I don't even see a release date anywhere.
But I'm looking forward to reading it when it's finally published.

Thanks, Hans Smile

~Theo
Jaime
I guess there are lots of reasons for a book's non-appearance. Sometimes publishers get over-excited and jump the gun. I was once approached by Routledge about an Ancient Artillery book, which periodically surfaces as "forthcoming", although I never even saw a contract!

Sandra Bingham's Praetorians books is (allegedly) due in 2010 from Tauris publishers, but I can't see any sign of it on their web site. So I guess, in the meantime, you'll just have to make do with her PhD thesis (PDF, as posted earlier by Alexandr).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Perhaps they are digging in their heels for illustrations?
It is always a way to move books off shelves when they have good visual aids to the content..... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel