Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antikythera Mechanism
Here's a recent article on the Antikythera Mechanism, published on the website of the BBC, which under normal circumstances means that it is a good piece. However, it makes a strange statement: that it was meant to indicate (a/o) when the Olympic Games were to be held. The author admits that this seems strange, but that the word "olympiad" was truly on one of the elements.

However, the Greeks of the hellenistic age measured time in olympiads, and I would not be surprised if the olympiads mentioned had something to do with the "input": "I want to know where the sun and moon will be in the second year of the Xth Olympiad".

Anyone any ideas?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
In an article today in my newspaper is also stated that it must have been used in Corinth or in some of it's colonies.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Return to Antikythera Eleatic Guest 0 714 09-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antikythera Mechanism Jona Lendering 11 2,216 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat