Anyone there familiar with the author?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:It seems that we will get at last an up-to-date book about Belisarius:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belisarius-Roma ... 584&sr=1-1

Er

Yes. Any specific reason for the question?
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote:
Virilis:2vtmb2km Wrote:It seems that we will get at last an up-to-date book about Belisarius:

Er

I think he was asking if the author was good, credible etc.
Michael Paglia
Great to have you here, Ian :wink: ! Can you please give us some more info about the book?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:
sonic:2ltqmryl Wrote:
Virilis:2ltqmryl Wrote:It seems that we will get at last an up-to-date book about Belisarius:

Er

I think he was asking if the author was good, credible etc.

Sadly for me, that's for others to judge! :wink:

Quote:Can you please give us some more info about the book?

The book is an attempt to write a biography of Belisarius based upon modern research, rather than the uncritical repetitions of Procopius that were written in the past - usually more than 100 years ago. I've still had to base it mainly on Procopius, of course, as that's the main source, but wherever possible I've checked and cross-referenced him with other sources in an attempt to look at all the possible alternatives to Procopius' story.

Also, I've analysed the reasons for his appointment to the command in the West, as well as attempted to give a brief overview of the armies involved in his battles - not easy, as there is surprisingly little evidence and it is usually ambiguous and can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

There are (or should be!!) over twenty maps in the book, covering all aspects of his campaigns. However, most of them follow his first campaign in Italy in an attempt to clarify the strategies of the war - which hopefully will make a big difference: when I studied his campaigns at university it was incredibly difficult to make head-or-tail of them because Procopius throws place-names around with abandon! There should be a separate map for each phase of the campaign, which will hopefully allow the reader to follow his movements more easily.

Finally, I've analysed the battles in an attempt to judge his military capacity as a general.

Not everyone will agree with my proposals, as in some cases I depart from the commonly-accepted theories. Yet I believe that my conclusions make sense and fit the known facts as well as or better than traditional beliefs: and in many cases my suggestions are supplementary rather than alternative ideas.

There is one thing I would like to make clear, though; at no point are any of the proposals in the book included in an attempt simply to make it controversial in the hope that it will cause debate and so boost sales. I hope that anybody reading it will, even if they disagree with me, accept that the concepts promoted reflect my current thinking and are a sincere attempt to examine Belisarius' career.

Having said that, I hope that it is easy to read and that readers enjoy it! If it creates discussion and further analysis, and makes more people interested in the Later Roman/Early Byzantine period and the life and times of Belisarius I will be happy.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
Sounds VERY interesting Ian :wink: ! I will definitely get your book when it gets published!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Sounds VERY interesting Ian :wink: ! I will definitely get your book when it gets published!

I hope you like it - and obviously I will be here to answer any questions etc that come up.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Wow, the first English biography on Belisarius to be published in over 100 years, IIRC.

This book is at the top of my list. Big Grin

I'm sure I'll have to wait a little longer before it becomes available in the US but the book is well worth it I'm sure !

Incidentally, I'm working on an impression from Belisarius' Italian campaign.

Thank you for writing this book, Ian.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Wow, the first English biography on Belisarius to be published in over 100 years, IIRC.

This book is at the top of my list. Big Grin

I'm sure I'll have to wait a little longer before it becomes available in the US but the book is well worth it I'm sure !

Incidentally, I'm working on an impression from Belisarius' Italian campaign.

Thank you for writing this book, Ian.

~Theo

Thanks for the comments!

Maybe this link (if it works!!) will be of help:
Belisarius US

Cheers

Ian
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Hi Ian,

I read Graves' Count Belisarius - what do you think (I actually found it easier to get into and enjoy than I Claudius (cretin that I am!)

Looking forward to your book arriving on the shelves her in Australia (although I probably won't be able to last that long and will get it on-line)

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Quote:Hi Ian,

I read Graves' Count Belisarius - what do you think (I actually found it easier to get into and enjoy than I Claudius (cretin that I am!)

Looking forward to your book arriving on the shelves here in Australia (although I probably won't be able to last that long and will get it on-line)

Cheers

Murray

Thanks for the comments Murray.

The reason why Graves' 'Count Belisarius' is easy to read is because the basic story is simple and involves all the ingredients of a Hollywood film: powerful women, romance, betrayal, and, of course, the odd battle!! :lol:

Claudius is all about politics - which is nice if you like that sort of thing - but it's a lot more complex in numbers of people involved and their relationships with each other. There are so many names that it's easy to get them confused! Give me Belisarius any day!!

Having said that, once you get into the details of Belisarius' life there are a large number of people - which is why I included a glossary of names with brief descriptions to help readers (and myself) remember who's who.

The main problem that I found with names is the recurrence of the name John (Ioannes): there are so many of them it's very easy to get confused. In the relevant volume of the 'Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire (IIIA)' there are 299 of them! Thankfully, not all of them appear in the story and the majority have nicknames to help differentiate between them.

Hope you enjoy the book.

Ian
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Ian,

Although it is not completely finalized (which is why it is not on Amazon) you can give them a preview of what the jacket will almost certainly look like (the mosaic-based one) - I can't work out how to post it here, but I'm sure you will be able to.

And I can confirm that there will be 27 maps, 18 tactical battle diagrams, 15 other b/w line drawings and 33 plates in the plate section (including 6 excellent specially-comissioned drawings of troop types).

All the best

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor (Ancient Warfare)
Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Ian,

Although it is not completely finalized (which is why it is not on Amazon) you can give them a preview of what the jacket will almost certainly look like (the mosaic-based one) - I can't work out how to post it here, but I'm sure you will be able to.

And I can confirm that there will be 27 maps, 18 tactical battle diagrams, 15 other b/w line drawings and 33 plates in the plate section (including 6 excellent specially-comissioned drawings of troop types).

All the best

Phil Sidnell
Pen & Sword Books

Wow Confusedhock: , I just wet my pants!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Ian,

All the best

Phil Sidnell
Pen & Sword Books

Thanks Phil. If it's any consolation, I can't work out how to post a picture from file either! Sad

Quote:Wow Confusedhock: , I just wet my pants!!

Oh dear: I hope you were reading the post at home and not at work!!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Quote:Wow Confusedhock: , I just wet my pants!!

Can we use that as a review quote on the back of the jacket? :wink:

Phil

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A rather critical review of Eric Flints\' Belisarius Series Steakslim 6 2,505 12-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Last Post: marcust