Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooks knife reconstruction
Salve Omnes!

Thought I'd share one of my newest blades with you. Handle is turned oak treated with linseed oil, socket cap forged iron, blade medium carbon steel. I included a photo of the original from Vaison la Romaine, France.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Very nice Robert lavdes Big Grin It looks like it will chop herbs very well also.
Great stuff Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I know you're emphasizing the larger blade, but the smaller looks like it could be found in just about anybody's kitchen. I have two knives that appear to be about the same shape and size. They're general utility knives, could be used for just about any purpose in food prep. Some things don't change much after all.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
More great work Robert! Big Grin I can attest to the quality of Robert's work being the proud owner of one of his Germanic knives.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Very nice Robert!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Great work Robert, however I am not aware of any finds of socket caps. It would appear that Roman knives of this type were just whacked into the organic handle without them.

There are no finds recorded in Manning or any of the Vindolanda catalogues of knives.
Oh blast! Cry Well, I thought it looked nice to have a forged socket ring, so I made one. Good experience. I used an interesting methode on making this knife, kind of preshaped forging, worked very well.
Will have to sell the knife to an unsuspecting soul who couldn't care less and wants a forged knife to chop veg with. Seeing how the shape hasn't changed much over many centuries, it will probably be very well suited for early Medieval times ??(hopefull look)

Function does guide form! Wish some of those "modern" designers could finaly grasp that concept as well :lol:
Here is the latest batch of Germanics! The top one weighs in at 260 grams!
These are for Jef, just need to put on the handles and forge him one with a knob at the end. :? cry:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Very Nice!
Big Grin
Laudes!
I don't know about knives, but other Roman tools sometimes had socket caps. I've seen several Roman files for example that had socket caps.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Robert! BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!!

Guess we're going to have to finish ours this week...
Early stages of two sets we started last week

http://rlqm.com/LegioIXHispana.knives/k ... g01.02.jpg
http://rlqm.com/LegioIXHispana.knives/k ... g01.01.jpg
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Wow, Sean! You guys are turning out some good stuff as well, so it would seem. I see you did knobs on some of the knives. Any pointers on how to best achieve a good knob? And thanks for the feedback, guys, making me blush :oops:
If you want some pointers on how I did this knife, send a PM and I will try to explain the methode. It works very well and leaves you with a less thick edged knife and an easy way to make the tang with minimal material loss.
I am attaching a picture I took Valkhof Museum in Nijmegen of some cooking knives. More insperation!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Thought I'd share one of my newest blades with you. Handle is turned oak treated with linseed oil, socket cap forged iron, blade medium carbon steel.

ooh, I'd buy that!! Beautiful!
Iulia Sempronia (Sara Urdahl)
Officium ante Proprium Bonum
Oeps! Just noticed I didn't put a scale to the cooking knife.
But here is a picture of the blade in proces with scale.
Ah, for non-metrics, there are 2.6 centimeters to the inch, making the blade without tang 10 " .
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Here is a couple of finished knives from the workshop of Legio IX HISP.

One of the handles is horn and the other is walnut
Tiberius Nemonius Agricola
Jeremy Brooks
Legio IX HISP Southern California
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Quote:Here is a couple of finished knives from the workshop of Legio IX HISP.

One of the handles is horn and the other is walnut

seems you forgot to attach pictures/links...
ALA I BATAVORUM