Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Lympics... 2008.. ..which sport should go?
Phelps.. he's all mis-shapen .. extra long arms... what sort of arm stretching contraption was he strapped into as a kid??? ...yeah those poor little girl gymnasts too.. criminal!

Beach volleyball "babes" .. no way! YUK.... all stringy and leathery skinned and emaciated..... those dumb "costumes"

And basketball.... raise the basket! And how come they don't have height classes like weight lifting or wrestling have for weight?

Sean / Hib
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
What's weird about basketball is that when I was a kid (way back in the 20th Century) Wilt the Stilt days...NObody could slam dunk. Not nobody, not nohow.

Something is different these days. There just weren't any 7 foot Chinese back then. Yow!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
[quote="M. Demetrius"
Something is different these days. There just weren't any 7 foot Chinese back then. Yow![/quote]

Big Grin D .Weird innit!Whats the world coming to.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
And get rid of any shootng competition that doesn't use real bullets.
.. air postols! PAH-LEEZ!!

Hib
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

All--I'm serious--all sports should be eliminated which require a judge rating the performance. Those are not athletics--no matter how athletic the contestants may be--those are art. They have venues elsewhere.

If the winner can not be objectively determined--who finishes first, or who has the fastest time, longest distance, etc--then it should be booted from the Olympics. No gymnastics, no diving, no synchronized swimming, no figure skating or ice dancing.

Second, I'm in favor of booting every sport which requires specialized equipment. The shot put, sculls, poles, balls, etc. should all be centrally purchased, checked for uniformity, then distributed at random. Guys who can spend a bazillion dollars on shoes should not have an unfair advantage over those who can't.

For that matter, why not run bare footed and compete nude, as they originally did? (It would result in even more viewers. :roll: )

That said, there have been some amazing performances this year.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Whilst we are dead chuffed at the GB performance (third in the medals so far), I did like the Aussie comment that the British Olympic medals showed that Brits excelled at the sitting-down sports....cycling, yachting etc....! Big Grin D
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Whilst we are dead chuffed at the GB performance (third in the medals so far), I did like the Aussie comment that the British Olympic medals showed that Brits excelled at the sitting-down sports....cycling, yachting etc....! Big Grin D

:lol:

Fantastic, I might have a good chance in the new sofa-sitting-remote-control-button-pressing event in 2012!

I was watching Mock the Week and one of the panelists said Great Britain only do well in sports that Africans can't afford to play...

Quote:For that matter, why not run bare footed and compete nude, as they originally did? (It would result in even more viewers. :roll: )

Eww no thanks :lol: What sports are left in your Olympics? lol
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
RON!

If the winner can not be objectively determined--who finishes first, or who has the fastest time, longest distance, etc--then it should be booted from the Olympics. No gymnastics, no diving, no synchronized swimming, no figure skating or ice dancing.

Nail on the head!!

THOUGH.. with the new digital motion capture equipment an "ideal" can be established for "moves" and the action of the athlete compared to that, from a dozen angles. Same as using a timer that measures to hundreths THOUGH measuring to whole seconds would be fun.. more ties and tie breaking events! Sure would determine a clear winner.. must win by a whole second..

Of course everyone who goes to the Olympics should get some kind of medal. Everyone is a winner afterall! No real losers, right?

Just for showing up and participating you get the Plastic Medal
If you make it to a quater final round or heat or into the top 50% of competitors or something like that you get the Aluminum Medal
And if you are in the final but don't finish in the top three you get the Iron Medal.

Sean
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

I'm in favor of Combat Golf myself.

Seriously, I'm inclined to agree about the expensive equipment. I had a friend in high school who was an outstanding horseman, and there was talk of his competing in the Olympics. His parents spent $30,000 on a horse for him (in 1979), and they just couldn't afford one good enough for that level of competition. So he toured with the Lipizzaner show instead.

That comment about sports the Africans can't afford really strikes a chord. That's part of trying to keep the Olympics a "rich man's club," and there are some countries that circumvent this by supporting their athletes.

Do we slam them as non-amateurs? Or is the fact that many outstanding natural athletes simply can't afford to take years off their careers for training just the way it is?

Interesting question. Both sides could have valid points.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
We used to play a game of Assasin Croquet

Requires a huge playing field... a soccer pitch'll do.... and one person who chases down the others to drive them hither and yon...

LYMPICS.... what's with sinkcrow swimming? synchronized... pool dancing? argh! Gimme sum sports please.

HIB
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Quote:Beach volleyball is like CAVORTING NINNIES

Sean / Hib

Sorry Hibs.....Womens beach Volley ball is a very important sport! :o
You can ditch the mens though! Tongue lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was watching Mock the Week and one of the panelists said Great Britain only do well in sports that Africans can't afford to play...

Or The British excel in sports were you go backwards!

Quote:I did like the Aussie comment that the British Olympic medals showed that Brits excelled at the sitting-down sports....cycling, yachting etc....!

While if the Brits said the same about the Aussies they would call that whinging!

As I generally work late into the night and most of the events are on late in the UK, I have followed a wide variety of sports over the last weeks although admitedly not everything. However I have yet to see the Chinese win anything at all!!! So how come they top the medals table? Are there hundreds of different versions of table tennis that I have missed somewhere?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
However I have yet to see the Chinese win anything at all!!! Hmmm a chinese boxer just beat one of our boys into silver in the mens 81kg boxing.Not happy at all!!!

As for winning medals??home advantage will do that for you.The aforementioned chinese boxer was awarded a point for shadowboxing for gods sake,not to mention half his hits were not even clean!!Meanwhile our guy wasnt awarded anything for a series of clean body punches. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: .Hmmm

PS im not a bad loser Big Grin ,just an angry loser!!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Quote:If the winner can not be objectively determined--who finishes first, or who has the fastest time, longest distance, etc--then it should be booted from the Olympics. No gymnastics, no diving, no synchronized swimming, no figure skating or ice dancing

Errrr, I think gymnastics of some form were part of the original......so should not be excluded.....

But then we would have to ban the winter olympics too, as the Greeks did not ski, to the best of my knowledge, (and genetic ancesteral memory.... :lol: )[/quote]
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Personally I think any olympic event that requires the use of judges should be tossed. Too political...

Legion: TBD