Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pyrriche
Well they way we do our research here to reconstruct the Pyrichi is as follows:

The light troopers dance is considered quite easy to reconstruct.
We talk with local folk tradition clubs ans asociations.

We believe that the steps of the Pontic "Serra" and Cretan "Pyrichios" can be used as the backbone. Some Neolithic art items support this.

The hoplites dance (Now we go for needles in a hay stack but if we don´t try there will be nothing).

We think that a dance of Thessaly - Macedonia called "zonaradikos" give the first steps. The rest we still research

Rebecca in Canada there any clubs of Greek imigrands.
Don´t know if any in your area but you can try their folk dance departments. I think they can help you in your research

Kind regards
Haven't found a Greek community where I am in Kansas, so I'm relying on historic images, historic descriptions, and modern videos. Not the best, I know, but it's a start. I'd like to find a folk dance club here to see if I can learn more of the traditional dances by DOING them rather than LOOKING at them - just no luck so far.

Thanks for the pointers - I'll have a look and see what I can find here in the middle of America!
Rebecca Jordan
www.hippeis.com
Well madam you can try here:
http://www.ahepa.org/
They might direct you to where you need to go!

Good luck
YOW! Why didn't I find them sooner? thank you, again!
Rebecca Jordan
www.hippeis.com
Welcome aboard, Thais.

Quote:After this some Aenianians[2] and Magnesians got up and fell to dancing the Carpaea, as it is called, under arms. This was the manner of the dance: one man lays aside his arms and proceeds to drive a yoke of oxen, and while he drives he sows, turning him about frequently, as though he were afraid of something; up comes a cattle-lifter, and no sooner does the ploughman catch sight of him afar, than he snatches up his arms and confronts him. They fight in front of his team, and all in rhythm to the sound of the pipe. At last the robber binds the countryman and drives off the team. Or sometimes the cattle-driver binds the robber, and then he puts him under the yoke beside the oxen, with his two hands tied behind his back, and off he drives.

[2] The Aenianians, an Aeolian people inhabiting the upper valley of the Sperchius (the ancient Phthia); their capital was Hypata. These men belonged to the army collected by Menon, the Thessalian. So, doubtless, did the Magnesians, another Aeolian tribe occupying the mountainous coast district on the east of Thessaly. See Kiepert's "Man. Anct. Geog." (Macmillan's tr.), chap. vi.. 161, 170.

After this a Mysian came in with a light shield in either hand and danced, at one time going through a pantomime, as if he were dealing with two assailants at once; at another plying his shields as if to face a single foe, and then again he would whirl about and throw somersaults, keeping the shields in his hands, so that it was a beautiful spectacle. Last of all he danced the Persian dance, clashing the shields together, crouching down on one knee and springing up again from earth; and all this he did in measured time to the sound of the flute. After him the Mantineans stepped upon the stage, and some other Arcadians also stood up; they had accoutred themselves in all their warlike finery. They marched with measured tread, pipes playing, to the tune of the 'warrior's march[3]'; the notes of the paean rose, lightly their limbs moved in dance, as in solemn procession to the holy gods. The Paphlagonians looked upon it as something truly strange that all these dances should be under arms; and the Mysians, seeing their astonishment persuaded one of the Arcadians who had got a dancing girl to let him introduce her, which he did after dressing her up magnificently and giving her a light shield. When, lithe of limb, she danced the Pyrrhic[4], loud clapping followed; and the Paphlagonians asked, "If these women fought by their side in battle?" to which they answered, "To be sure, it was the women who routed the great King, and drove him out of camp." So ended the night.

[3] See Plato, "Rep." 400 B, for this "war measure"; also Aristoph. "Clouds," 653.

[4] For this famous dance, supposed to be of Doric (Cretan or Spartan) origin, see Smith's "Dict. of Antiquities," "Saltatio"; also Guhl and Koner, "The Life of the Greeks and Romans," Eng. tr.

Anabasis Book VI

Anyone here care to offer a comment on Ruby Ginner's "The Technique of the Revived Greek Dance" ???
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
3000 years later after a lot of research and effort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQ26rjOKnk

Better videos and photos to follow

Kind regards
As promished:
http://www.spartasmores.gr/index.files/Page735.htm .

More photos and videos to follow

Kind regards
Superb!

I applaud with the crowd. That's great. Now put out a handbook so we can ALL do it.

Was that the Paean of Apollo? or another tune?
Sources: Heidelsberg pottery fragments and the Vatican sarcofagos.
Tune: slightly modified orphic tune. (I prefer Doric anapestos but what the heck!)
Constraint: 4 steps
Step and rythm base on Macedonian zonaradikos dance.

Execution:
1. Advance single file
2. Turn left
3. Touch fellow hoplite's left soulder and bring shield to guard position
4. Two steps right, third step forward, fourth step return back (execute 2times)
5. Two steps left, third step kneel, fourth step stand up(execute 2times)
& Execute procedure 4 and 5 three times
6. Even number hoplites march forward and turn to face odd number while all draw swords whp roll on the ryrthm of the tune
8. Even number 2 steps forward 3rd step overarm sword thrust (Odd number 2 steps backward 3rd step onguard)
9 Execute the opposit
10. Two steps left, two steps right
11 Execute procedure 8 - 10 three times
12. Even number turn left (Odd turn right) and they ance away

Good luck!
Nice work. And thanks for sharing. We'll get on that.
Really an great video, nice to see the wardance again after many ages. Tongue

And slightly offtopic, seeing the Paen mentioned, is this the Spartan Paen? (From Hoplitikon site) Would be nice hearing someone since a war song. Tongue

Quote:TYRTAEUS c.650B.C.

The Spartan Paian
Go forth, children of citizens of Sparta,
the land of brave men.
With left hand
the shield put forward firmly,
the spear raise with your right.
Go forth and show your courage
without fearing for your life,
cause fear for ones own life
does not become to Spartans.

O SPARTIATIKOS PAIAN 650p.c.
O PAIAN POU EYALLAN OI SPARTIATES
POLEMISTES KAQWS BADIZAN KATA TOU
ECQROU:
AGETE, W SPARTAS EUANDRW
KWROI PATERWN POLIATAN,
LAIA MEN ITUN PROBALESQE
DORU D~EUTOLMWS ANSCESQE
MH FEIDOMENOI TAS ZWAS.
OU GAR PATRION TA SPARTA.
APODOSH STH NEOELLHNIKH:
EMPROS W THS EUANDROU SPARTHS
TEKNA PATERWN POLITWN,
DIA THS ARISTERAS CEIROS THN
ASPIDAN PROBALETE,
DIA DE THS DEXIAS ME TOLMH
TO DORU UYWSATE,
MH FEIDOMENOI TIS ZWES
GIATI AUTO DEN EINAI
PATROPARADOTO STN SPARTA!

"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
This book might be of interest- and its free!

http://books.google.com/books?id=qKkMAA ... +sculpture
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Thanks Paul.
Interesting but it is not free I think. Cannot download.

The full song was called melos. (i.e. Castorio Melos - hymn to Castor ans Polux).
The pean was the rythmical battlecry.

Kind regards
Anothe video view. Take cusrsor alitle before the middle if you are impatient.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zo35C_1q9g

Kind regards