Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympic Games (interesting, actually)
OK. First an apology for bringing up the Olympic Games, with which you're probably as fed up as I am. Still, this link leads to a webpage that may actually be interesting.

It is, somewhat misleadingly, called Gilgamesh Games. The author of those pages suggests that the Olympic Games have roots in ancient Mesopotamia, and points at a key text from Babylonia: the Epic of Gilgamesh, which was known throughout the ancient Near East and has jumped to Greece as well (it is quoted by Homer and referred to by Aelian, who also knows the name of "Gilgamos"). The idea that the archaic Greeks, who also accepted oriental artistic motifs, were inspired by the Epic of Gilgamesh, is by no means far-fetched, especially since Gilgamesh and Herales closely resemble each other.

The author claims to have found eleven parallels. I was not convinced by all of them, but yes, athletic contests, in the summer, to honor the gods (instead of a dead hero as in the Iliad), awarding wreaths, ending with a victory banquet - well, five parallels is quite suggestive.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Olympic Games (interesting, actually) - by Jona Lendering - 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Ancient Catapults - by Tiglath Pileser III - 09-22-2008, 01:24 AM