Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attila\'s invasion of Gaul
Quote:Yes but in this late period the regimental legione had replaced the independent cohort. Units of 2 to 3 cohorts were now behaving as independent regiments. The old style Legion of 10 cohorts had been utterly transformed. The legionarie himself was using a thrusting spear in place of the pilum. A large oval shield and a long sword.

Are you suggesting the spiculum did not replace the pilum?,and the Lancea was their only shafted weapon? :?
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Stick to the topic please. :wink: Attila here, arms & armour elsewhere.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Stick to the topic please. :wink: Attila here, arms & armour elsewhere.

My apology I got a little carried away at the interesting post. Big Grin

It has put me in a mind to read the Waldere & the Fate of the Burgundians. Does anyone know if you can get a copy in English?

I've read Kathleen Herbert's theory that if the events happened as told it must of been around 437AD when the Huns defeated the Burgundians inflicting losses of 20,000 and the death of the Burgundian King at the instigation of Aetius.

She doesn't give an idea of the Huns numbers or tactics but the peom itself may do so. However as they may have been written sometime after one needs to be careful :wink:
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Quote:Are you suggesting the spiculum did not replace the pilum?,and the Lancea was their only shafted weapon? Confused

No! How can I forget the amusing image of the triple armed Later Roman Legionaire on the cover of WRG's 6th edition army list! :roll:
Steven.