Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEG VI VIC B PF on scutum - Severan/Newstead/Spatha kit
I live in Scotland 25 miles from the Severan legionary fortress of Carpow and have been assembling an early 3rd C Severan/Newstead/Spatha impression from the period of the Scottish Severan campaigns.

I am presently working on my oval dished scutum and before doing the rawhide edging I thought of provisionally painting the reverse of my scutum with the Legio VI titles and awards from the period which includes its final Severan Britannia battle honour. This is attested from a roof tile stamp from fragments found in the Carpow fortress.

I would like opinions on the suitability or otherwise of adding such a titles/battle honour to the reverse of an oval scutum from this period.

Clearly Legio VI at the beginning of the 3rd century were still proud enough of their titles to stamp it on roof tiles but would they also have commemorated the Severan awarded battle honour on their shields??

I have a paintbrush at the ready to overpaint it if has to go !!

The photo shows the current state of my equipment at a Scottish multi-period event I attended last weekend together with my scutum as painted with the 3rd century Legio VI titles.

[Image: 136b.jpg]
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)
Very nice impression Ian!
yes, very nice impression Ian 8) Big Grin
Martin Müllauer

http://www.gentes-danubii.at/
Thanks Adrian and Martin for your positive comments.

I assume by the lack of negative responses that its OK to use legionary insignia on shields in an early 3rd Century context and I can continue with the rawhide edging to finish the shield.

I certianly have appreciated the help and advice I was given last year by forum members in the devopement of this impression.
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)
Hi! Looks great! If you want some tips, send me a pm. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Great - and very impressive tunic too!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo/Paul B

Glad you like the tunic. I eventually found somone to make it up to my specifications it was a problem finding the correct weight of wool but she did manage it eventually.
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)
Glad to see you have got it all together Ian. Nice work.
BTW where was this multi period event?
Romans never got up to Scotland, don't you know? :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron

This was the Lanark Festival which this year had a roman contingent.

http://www.lanarkmedievalfestival.co.uk/

It might be worthwhile coming down from Aberdeen if its on next year particularly if they have a roman presence again.
I was meeting Robin Brown from Legio VIII to collect this pair of Vindolanda boots he made for my kit. He has done a great job with them, very comfortable and I can certianly recommend his work. Here is his website -

http://www.rigorevali.co.uk/

[Image: DSC04196.jpg]

I was asked to join the group in the arena but I didn't think it was a good idea to mix Flavian and Severan in a single presentation - it would only confuse the punters.!!!!

BTW weren't you looking to develop later period kit when I last spoke to you. How is that coming along.

Here are a couple of photos to give a flavour of this years Lanark event.

[Image: DSC04159.jpg]

[Image: DSC04162.jpg]
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)
Nice pics!
I have a pair of fell boots from Robin, pretty sturdy.
Some of Cezarys socks to make them comfortable though.

It's coming along slowly! Sad
finally have some tunics and the helm.
The sword is on order but the belt is to be decided yet.
And to have a pugio or not is still in question.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
"And to have a pugio or not is still in question."

Go for the semi spatha ! I've got the blade.....just need the right hilt and to make the scabbard....some day soon.....
:roll:
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Is that the welded pattern spatha you mentioned?
I was told no good for 180..... Sad
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newstead Spatha Marc 5 1,768 09-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Ivory handled Newstead spatha Robert 47 6,298 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Ideas for Severan Legionary Paul Elliott 44 8,674 10-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Forty-One