Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Emperor?
Salvete Omnes!

OK, this might be a frivolous thread but, who is your favorite Emperor or Roman? and in short terms, why?

You all know mine, Trajan, because he was a soldier who extended the empire to it's greatest extent.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Quote:who is your favorite Emperor or Roman? and in short terms, why?
Marcus Aurelius. His Meditations may be a bit tedious, but he's sympathetic. And he had a beautiful wife.
Hadrian. Omnium curiositatum explorator.
Antoninus Pius. A ruler can't be bad if he revokes a tax discount for philosophers with the argument that if they are true philosophers, they don't care about money.
Quote:Trajan, because he was a soldier who extended the empire to it's greatest extent.
... well, he never really subdued Mesopotamia; Severus' conquests were more lasting, and he added land in Rumania, Libya, and Scotland. A case can be made that under Severus, the Empire reached its greatest extent. That being said, Trajan is a good alter ego. A man who orders his slaves not to listen to him when he is drunk, knows his weaknesses and is therefore a strong man.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Oh Jona...

Quote:Marcus Aurelius. His Meditations may be a bit tedious, but he's sympathetic. And he had a beautiful wife.

But she certainly slept around a bit Confusedhock:

Actually, secretly I'm a Germanicus fan, but don't tell anybody :oops:

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
Quote:But she certainly slept around a bit
... a rumor circulated to explain why good Marcus was the father of a bad son, Commodus.
Jona Lendering
My website

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
Quote:... a rumor circulated to explain why good Marcus was the father of a bad son, Commodus.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...Excellent :wink:

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
ok trajan definitly a great emperor... now.....
I would have to say My Fav is Octavian/Augustus The length of his rule alone is evidence that most felt he was doing the right thing. His ending of the civil wars and uniting rome. he was himself saying he found rome a city of brick and left it a city of marble (building projects), he reorganised the forum. bringing egypt fully under romes control with all its wealth and farmland.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:ok trajan definitly a great emperor... now.....
I would have to say My Fav is Octavian/Augustus The length of his rule alone is evidence that most felt he was doing the right thing. His ending of the civil wars and uniting rome. he was himself saying he found rome a city of brick and left it a city of marble (building projects), he reorganised the forum. bringing egypt fully under romes control with all its wealth and farmland.

I cannot disagree with anything you've said, Augustus is probably the greatest of all Romes emperors, but for some reason, I just cannot warm to him Cry

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
Maybe we can complicate the question a bit, by dividing it into three:

A) In which Emperor's reign would you most want to serve in the Roman army?

B) In which Emperor's reign would you most want to be a Roman civilian?

C) Which Emperor would you most want for a rich uncle (i.e., which one do you find the most personable)?

Of course, the answers don't need to be the same for all three questions.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
A) Antoninus Pius - soldiers probably died only for boredom during his reign

B) again Antoninus Pius - most peaceful period in Roman history, AFAIK

C) Claudius - for some reason I think he's quite generous. Was he?! :?

as to the original question of favourite emperor

Tiberius

well, he's my namesake and quite under-rated, back then and today, IMO (the best emperors are often whose who didn't want to be one)

further he was an able general, more far-sighted than Augustus as exterior policy is concerned I'd say ... he left a stable empire and 20 times the wealth Rome had possessed as he came to power

... and, yeah I know, he became a nut in the end, but it wasn't as worse as Tacitus and the like describe him :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:A) Antoninus Pius - soldiers probably died only for boredom during his reign

B) again Antoninus Pius - most peaceful period in Roman history, AFAIK

C) Claudius - for some reason I think he's quite generous. Was he?! :?

I can understand the first two, but I'm not sure about the third: if Claudius was my 'uncle', he might try to marry me!! :lol:

As for favourite emperors, either Claudius because of his scholarship (if only we had his history of the Etruscans!! Cry ) or Claudius II because of his potential.

(Yes, I know, not full explanations, but I'm limited time-wise!!)
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote:again Antoninus Pius - most peaceful period in Roman history, AFAIK
You are essentially right, of course, but I would not underestimate the war against the Moors (144-152). They crossed into Spain. There is archaeological evidence for serious destruction. One of the towns that was never rebuilt again was Irni (where the Lex Irnitana was found). If I recall correctly, about eight legions had to sent vexilationes. Fighting must have been pretty heavy. Antoninus accepted titles like Germanicus and Dacicus in 157, which proves serious fighting on the northern front. And although it may have been a peaceful affair, I think that moving from the Wall of Hadrian to the Wall of Antoninus was a violent affair too. But anyhow, it was a peaceful age, compared to the reigns of Trajan or Marcus Aurelius.
Jona Lendering
My website
Emperor Julian!

He was not triumphant in his endeavours but I always have a soft spot for dreamers / tragic heroes who have a " quarrel with the world" :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Claudius, why? The empire underwent its first major expansion since the reign of Augustus. The provinces of Thrace, Noricum, Pamphylia, Lycia, and Judea were annexed under various circumstances during his term. Not to forget his invasion of britannia. he also finished off buildings that were half finished by caligula, however id rather serve in the army of Imperator Caesar
Tom Bonham
Rather depends. I think I would have wanted to serve under Severus, because the soldiers under him were paid generously, won wars, and there were plenty of noncombat slots to fill for literate men with a talent for management.

Civilian - it wouldn't really make a big difference except for the really bad spots, would it? I mean, most emperors never affected the average vir in the via. Nero was probably nice if you could keep your mouth shut (lavish games and generous gifts), But generally, I'd pick a period of dull stability and hope to not stumble over the exciting bits. Aelius Aristides is right up my alley.

As people go, my favourite emperor is Vespasian. Personally, I'm probably closer to Hadrian - curious, overcivilised, given to idle speculation, somewhat choleric and way too convinced of my own opinion - but Vespasian just was an impressive kind of guy. He got things done, he understood thorough planning and due caution, he didn't take himself too seriously, had a sense of humour, tended not to kill people for a lark and stuck with his friends. Probably demanding as hell, but a joy to work for.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach