Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need a resource for Persian names
Hello
As we all know, Darius, Cyrus, Mardonius, and a host of other Persian names are actually Greek translations of their original Persian appellations.
I have always been curious to know what their real Persian names sounded like.
Can anyone help with an online link? Thank you in advance
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Be careful with web references; not every website is reliable - some of them are ran by refugees who use ancient history to discredit the current, Islamic government of Iran. I'm not gonna link to them as that might improve their Google ratings, but take a look here (note 13) and here.

The article to read is D.M. Lewis, "Persians in Herodotus", in The Greek Historians. Papers Presented to A.E. Raubitschek (1985), a classic article that also proves that Herodotus is often more reliable than one is willing to admit.

Also, see Manfred Mayrhofen, Onomastica Persepolitana. Das altiranische Namengut der Persepolis Taefelchen (1973 Vienna); but I think the Lewis article is what you're looking for.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I would recommend thee to take a look at The Persians by Brosius, Maria or From Cyrus to Alexander: A History of the Persian Empire by Briant, Pierre.

And also, more focused on language, An Introduction to Old Persian by Skjærvø, Prods Oktor is also a good book - and, if you keep the secret :wink: , you could find it here in pdf.

At last but no at least: don't read only about old persian. Avestan language had also a great importance in those days. Probably it did had an influence on Persian language.

Ahura Mazdā be with you :wink: .