Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, even if you\'re not a HUGE fan of Japanese design...
I stumbled across this site while looking for "japanese house plans" and I almost went out and bought as many lottery tickets as I could find.

There is something to be said about the simplicity but natural balance that japanese traditional houses and exterior design seems to have. You don't find it as clearly in western styles.

Anyway, I'm hoping once I buy/build my next house (oh, and not me personally build it, unless I wanted it to fall apart immediately), I'd like to make one room in a japanese style, and make one of those shoji fences for the outside. Maybe make a Tori gate for some part of the outside as well.

http://www.woodsshop.com/index.htm

That company sells plans for what they show on the site. But after looking at some of the pictures, I think you need to have a bit of $$ to execute some of the outdoor stuff lol.

Clicking on any of the links will take you to a bunch of photo galleries.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Anyway, I'm hoping once I buy/build my next house (oh, and not me personally build it, unless I wanted it to fall apart immediately), I'd like to make one room in a japanese style, and make one of those shoji fences for the outside. Maybe make a Tori gate for some part of the outside as well.

That's odd. A design of your home based on one of the Herculaneum/Pompeian villa's would be much better, I think! (I mean, if you have the money and gonna built your home, anyway, why doens't base it on really civilised housing from the past. LOL

Anyway, it's nice indeed!
ALA I BATAVORUM
A guy who used to live near me built a Japanese style garden with Koi ponds all on different levels. It was a masterpiece.
He raised money for charity once by having an open day. Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
I definately plan on a Roman villa or a Greek design eventually!
But I understand where you are coming from on the Japanese style!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Magnus,

Thanks for the link -- interesting site.

Yes indeed, the deceptive simplicity of Japanese design is very appealing and an design aesthetic I would love to implement in my own life, but it is tough to do with all the clutter one accumulates over the years.

Of course even the Japanese have to deal with that too.

There is a book on Japanese design you might find of interest or inspiration:

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Style-Su ... 0517560801

Some of the design solutions to the problems of space and materials are quite innovative and almost always striking.

When my father retired, after 30 years in the US Army, to a small university outside Portland OR. he and my mother had a Japanese garden built in their yard. It surrounded the house completely and included a koi pond, stream, Japanese slat fence, and numerous pathways. It was not only expensive to build but to maintain as well. However, it was quite something and the perfect place to sit and contemplate the world. It would be great to have such a garden but I do not have the resources they did. (Neither, it seems, do the new owners who have let the garden "go to seed" as it were thus reaffirming the opening line of the Heike Monogatari on the impermanence of all things.)

We are opting for something a little more Roman like in our garden. I say Roman "like" as it is very simple and only hints at the Mediterranean style.

Indeed, winning the lottery would go a long way to realizing the dream of "simplicity."

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Magnus:323ss188 Wrote:Anyway, I'm hoping once I buy/build my next house (oh, and not me personally build it, unless I wanted it to fall apart immediately), I'd like to make one room in a japanese style, and make one of those shoji fences for the outside. Maybe make a Tori gate for some part of the outside as well.

That's odd. A design of your home based on one of the Herculaneum/Pompeian villa's would be much better, I think! (I mean, if you have the money and gonna built your home, anyway, why doens't base it on really civilised housing from the past. LOL

Anyway, it's nice indeed!

Hmmnmmm...I'll need two houses then!

Dave, yeah I can imagine the cost factor....and you're correct. A Japanese hosue wouldn't accomodate all the junk and items I have. I think I'd have to stick to one room and maybe some outdoor decorative stuff to pull any of it off. The gates and fencing is nice.

Nice links guys. I have beeen frustaing over some backyard improvments for a while now.

One of the subtle benifits inherent with any samurai flick is that almost all of the set designs can give you ideas on how to furnish your house and work your garden.

The bare, simple and natural look is the most conducive to a meditative appreciation of nature, and reflections on life in tranquility, and instills a natural sense of peace and harmony.

The spare and simple design can be applied to any single room of your house by throwing out whatever or whoever is in it, putting down a hardwood floor and a few simple furnishings, like some mats, a sword stand, and a suit of Samurai armor or two... This is just the project for when your kid goes to college, or jail, or rehab, or runs off with that Goth or Emo he /she has beeen hanging out with. And hopefully take all their Industrial Alterative music CDs with them. Yeah. Or, in my case, converting the guest room before another relative decends for a visit.

This site has some excellent furniture designs. It is not as cheap as some, but you get what you pay for, and you don't really need a lot of furnishings anyway.
www.greenteadesign.com

Ralph I.
now moved to reading the poems of Tadanori by the sedate light of my zen lamp in the former room for the in-laws
Ahhh geez Ralph, why'd you have to show me that site!?!?!?

8)

Amazing how expensive simplicity can be.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Amazing how expensive simplicity can be.

Indeed!

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Or perhaps some more items...

www.chopa.com

What I like here are the sliding screens for replacing standard yucko closet doors.

The expense for simplicity is well worth it ...considering what is displaced to achieve it.

Ralph I.
Id love a Japanese house!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
And a japanese wife to go with it. :wink:

Quote:And a japanese wife to go with it. :wink:

Someone who will make the house a home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwy4DM8k ... re=related

Ralph
Confusedhock:

I just love heavily armed women, particularly those who knows their way around a sword!

Yeowza!

:oops: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA